Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: My Day---Improv  (Read 3084 times)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
My Day---Improv
on: June 25, 2007, 07:01:02 PM
This is an attempt to express through music what happens within myself during a "pretty normal day" of my life. Only once in a while I really can express it through an improv like this one. During all the other days things just happen....  ;D

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: My Day---Improv
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 01:29:05 AM
I like the beginning and the first half, Wolfi. You make good use of slow, clockwork rhythm and sparse harmony to produce an effectively ominous effect. I don't know about the impressionistic title though. Is your day really that menacing and sinister ?
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 01:49:44 AM
I like the beginning and the first half, Wolfi. You make good use of slow, clockwork rhythm and sparse harmony to produce an effectively ominous effect. I don't know about the impressionistic title though.

I think this might be the last or one of the last improvs in my "phase 2", the phase after "Styx" (Feb. 3 until now)  I feel like a bit stuck in this style at the time.  Time for a break.
Is your day really that menacing and sinister ?

Not always, fortunately. Often it's better. Sometimes worse though. But these menacing days have very interesting aspects, I think, sometimes. I practice how to cope with them. Like many of my improvs this one is in a great tension between B flat minor and D flat major, "darkness" and "light" to me.

Cheers :)

Wolfi

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:04:39 AM
1:38 - nice progression
2:10 - I like the stepwise motion of the inner voices
2:49 - you take the steps to the bass
3:12 - cool
3:26 - :)
3:32 - menacing chords, I like that dissonant minor 2nd
4:08 -  :)
4:55 - surprise  :)
5:13 - suprise resolution!

Cool

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert