Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Berg - Sonata  (Read 4621 times)

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Berg - Sonata
on: July 14, 2007, 05:14:11 PM
Live 4/7-07

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Re: Berg sonata
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 05:16:39 PM
So, one more Berg sonata in a short time for you guys... hope you enjoy it. You have to skip about a minute and 20 seconds as there is presentation and applause in the beginning, I cant fix that at the moment.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Re: the Berg sonata (again)
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:53:34 PM
Great job.  You really followed all those complex score markings well, and you had good sound quality.  Nice performance. 

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:06:47 PM
thanks a lot! I'll have to listen to your recording later too, but at the moment my connection is so slow, I have to wait for a while.. would be great to read your 185-page paper on this piece by the way!

About the "complex score" - I guess you have to work on the piece from time to time; there are always new markings that you didn't notice the previous time you were studying it. But on the other hand, I feel that most of Bergs markings come naturally.
I learned it over half a year ago and felt I wanted to work on it again and finally play it in concert. The recording was taken from a student concert at a course I went to for Liisa Pohjola (teacher at the Sibelius academy in helsinki). You probably noticed the memory slip near the end - luckily I let my hands keep playing and I eventually found a way to continue..

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 11:15:49 PM
I'd love for you to read my paper.  I'm getting it ready for publication at the moment, so we may have to wait.  But let's keep in touch about it.

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 06:28:31 PM
speaking of Berg, I've heard that there are a few more piano pieces that most people aren't aware of - does anyone know more about this? it's possible that they are more sketches than actual pieces though, but I'm interrested - the piano sonata is the only thing he published for solo piano.

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 09:00:20 PM
speaking of Berg, I've heard that there are a few more piano pieces that most people aren't aware of - does anyone know more about this? it's possible that they are more sketches than actual pieces though, but I'm interrested - the piano sonata is the only thing he published for solo piano.

There's that piano concerto...ish piece.

It's actually not all that good.  It's like piano+chamber with an emphasis on piano.  Sounds a lot like bad Carter.

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 10:19:41 PM
I'll check it out... but I was thinking about solopiano music. Then we have the four clarinet+piano-pieces which I REALLY like too...

Offline fnork

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 02:20:54 PM
Just a small update: deleted the 1 and a half minute presentation before the performance.

Offline russda_man

• PS Silver Member
Re: Berg - Sonata
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:10 AM
I like your performance of the Berg very much. I'm not a big fan of this type of music (I'm more of a tonal person), but I have got an open mind, hence why I listened to it. It sounds rather aggressive in places, but I suppose the spirit of the music requires this. Well constructed.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:00:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of this type of music (I'm more of a tonal person)

This piece is tonal, hence the title "Sonata in B minor".

Offline russda_man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:05:50 AM

Oh!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 12:02:08 AM
Oh!

Hahaha genius ... digging up an old thread to say : Oh!  ;D

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:07:29 AM

While we've resurrected this, I may as well point out that it is simply titled "Sonata."

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 05:24:27 PM
While we've resurrected this, I may as well point out that it is simply titled "Sonata."

And you are correct.  As many of you know, I have a book about this sonata currently under consideration to be published.  And I can tell you this piece is mostly free atonality.  There is a cadence in B minor at the beginning and at the end, but only a handful of faint hints at tonality other than that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert