Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Improvised Sonata-Allegro form: Quasi una Fantasia in B minor  (Read 3771 times)

Offline ian williams

• PS Silver Member
(This is my first "mature" piece improvised on my less-than adequate Kawai digital piano. I regret that it is not an acoustic piano, but due to my current circumstances that is not possible.)

The piece itself was inspired by Sergei Rachmaninov's B minor Prelude (Op. 32, No. 10), but in the process I lost the original inspiration and it became more a pastoral programme piece. The programme is mine and still in my head, and I call it "Eastern Railway Journey". Please mind my rather unprofessional cheap microphone, as I have done as much as possible to enhance the quality.

This is an entry into my Late Romanticism inspiration area... the semi-atonality of Rachmaninov's preludes and parts of his piano concerti are my primary influence here. I call my new type of playing "Chromatic Romanticism". I hope it is enjoyed, and more will come from my thriving mind. I truly would appreciate any insults, comments, compliments, and advice. All types of criticism are welcome (just so you know, and for posterity purposes: I began playing in February 2007, and have no music education apart from my own intense theory study in book and internet form)!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvised Sonata-Allegro form: Quasi una Fantasia in B minor
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:03:26 AM
Welcome here Ian. You'll find a very creative and mutually supportive bunch of improvisers building up here - unlike at another place I could mention. Your defence of the poster in question, by the way, was so eloquent and correct it didn't leave anything to say.

Anyway, back to here. This is good, but I have to admit to feeling it is closer to Chinese painting of the Sung dynasty, or Chinese music of the T'ang, Sung, Yuan or Ming dynasties than to late romanticism. Congratulations on being able to approach this Oriental simplicity of form. It is a lesson to us that we do not need to splash a frenzy of notes about to say something. The idiom has an eloquence which is eternal and quite elusive of the more modern "New Age" simplicity. The same is true of Oriental painting; it's the same principle.

I look forward to hearing more.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:19:32 AM
Thanks for the improv, ian. I've added your name and a link to your improvisation to the "Index of Improvisers and Improvisations" thread.

Offline ian williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:54:50 AM
Well thank you for welcoming me Ted!

You are right that it is Oriental in harmonic structure, although it is simply my amateur mind attempting to work chords out before it's obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing.  ;) The thing that I do not understand is that my music tends to veer closely to "Chinese" music, especially of the oriental pentatonic scale. This is not a conscious decision, as my greatest passion and inspiration is Rachmaninov, with a dash of Chopin. I do not know any Chinese composers or musicians, and certainly not of the eras you mention. It is very interesting that, of the many improvisations I have done, my music reminds everyone of China.

Thank you for the feedback! Thanks to you Derek for adding me to your prestigious list, as well!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert