Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann Papillons op.2, nos. 1-6 (part of 7 )-- see next post for complete 7  (Read 8154 times)

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
  Damn this stuff is musically challenging.. Suppose I'll spend rest of my life trying to do it justice. :(
"Music is the pen of the soul"

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
i always thought papillions was more difficult that it looked, too.  i'd like to hear more lightness like the butterflies (even in the forte areas).  somehow - more pedal, too.  is that a metronome in the background?  yikes.  this is making the butterflies stiff.

but, you know what -i'd be hard pressed to play this the way i want to hear it for a few months.  keep at it and post again.  that's what people tell me all the time.  i'm reworking some things and doing more. 

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
no metrenome :)

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
i always thought papillions was more difficult that it looked, too.  i'd like to hear more lightness like the butterflies (even in the forte areas).  somehow - more pedal, too.  is that a metronome in the background?  yikes.  this is making the butterflies stiff.

but, you know what -i'd be hard pressed to play this the way i want to hear it for a few months.  keep at it and post again.  that's what people tell me all the time.  i'm reworking some things and doing more. 

Oh, if there were any more fluctuations in tempo of no.4, it wouldn't hold together. Also, title. Papillons, shouldn't be taken too literally. Actually, in Schumann's own words, the set of pieces represented a maked ball(very popular at the time) that was from a scene in a novel, can't recall which, but you know, one of those stories where someone goes mad from being rejected by a lover and all that sort of thing so popular in Schumann's time. After the ball, he quietly slips into the water or something. Not that what the music represents is should be taken so literally, but it is helpful in "conceptualizing"  the music---it helps to know the source.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
after the ball he 'quietly' slips into the water?  you mean he doesn't make any noise when he's dying?  i should think this should cause all sort of enormous fluctuations in tempo.  perhaps my imagination is getting carried away again.

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
There is a great posting of Bernhard about the story behind the Papillons here:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,15925.msg170957.html#msg170957
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member

thanks counterpoint. very, very interesting.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member

...wow...

somehow - more pedal, too.

I agree - some of those notes (e.g. beginning) shouldn't be that dry [although it's probably the sound quality]. Don't always be polite at the endings (e.g. if it's marked cresc). Your tendency is to always decresc. at ends of phrases, which is what you'd do in Mozart)

...so probably you need to think of it more as a romantic work in style, not classical. Otherwise, very nice! ^^

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Does NOT need more pedal, does NOT decrescendo at the end of every phrase, does NOT sound "polite", is classical/romantic and not late romantic, does NOT sound like Mozart--and--- and---:P--------( ;)

Offline jepoy

• PS Silver Member
I think a little bit more contrast on the repeats would be better. Some parts could use more pedal too. On the whole, you played very well though. Keep it up!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert