Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Liszt - Un sospiro  (Read 6706 times)

Offline lik21

• PS Silver Member
Liszt - Un sospiro
on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:38 PM
Dear all,

This is a recording of a girl, I have met recently.
She studies piano at university, but she has no self-confidence at all, which is strongly setting back her career.
I almost know nothing about classical music, and I have just started to listen to it due to her influence. So, I cannot judge her performance. Therefore, I would like to ask for your help, to make some feedbacks on her music. And if there are any positive feedbacks, I will tell her, because she really needs others' acknowledgement. She says her performance is rubbish. I hope it is not...

Sorry for the bad quality of the recording, but i have only this one.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt - Un sospiro
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 11:27:17 PM
i think she's almost there!  my advice would be to listen to several other recordings.  i like the speeding and slowing of some parts - but others seem to rush the endings.  the calmness of the piece seems to come in the complete relaxation you can bring to your audience.  that means - you have to be relaxed too - inamongst all the notes.

william wolfram is supposed to have a good rendition.  am listening for it on minnesota public radio.  you can listen here, too, at 5:14 pm:  https://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/cms/pieces_played/?month=07&day=11&year=2007

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:53:40 AM
I like her recording very much :). she can be certainly be very proud of! Im not going to criticize it coz I could not play it better in any case !

btw: im just listening to your recording pianistimo too of "un sospiro".
it says "susan - un sospiro". thats you right XD?
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:59:09 AM
She's quite good.  She should not be insecure. 

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:03:55 AM
i can't find my recording - but sometime i'll try to post another one.  funny thing - that particular book broke in half at the center and i have one half and i don't know where the other is right now.  i played it way back when and now i have to revive it again.  it's not that difficult once you've played it.  to me, what makes it the most beautiful is to not show any sort of tension.

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:13:40 AM
Gorgeous.
"Music is the pen of the soul"

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 02:38:11 PM
On second thought, this must be some kind of joke.
"Music is the pen of the soul"

Offline theswede

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 11:27:37 PM
And this is ONE way of playing it...well played. My interpretation is different but I am not as good as she.  :)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:36:45 AM
Many nice things to comment on here:

Beautiful tone, lightness of fingers, no dull moments, etc.

The one major thing I would advise for her is related to interpretation and this is my opinion --> It's too fast in general.  That's not to say that all places are too fast, as several spots should be played fast, like in the cadenzas.  She has a tendancy to get carried away with the loud sections and rush through them.  As a result, this is about the shortest performance of this etude I've ever heard.  I would advise her to enjoy the music more and let it breathe since there's so many wonderful sonorities in this piece that just beg for special attention.  She has the capability to play this etude amazingly and with a little adjustment it could outshine most recordings of this I've heard.  Tell her good job!

Josh
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 02:26:17 AM
From a "layman's" viewpoint she played it beautifully.

She may want to watch/listen to Hamelin's version which
gives more substance to the comment of jlh.
Nevertheless, I really liked her playing. :)

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline malchus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 11:13:48 AM
This interpretation is very different from most of what I've heard. She's great, has a promisinig future, she doesn't have any reason to be unconfident. I would suggest, though, that she doesn't change the tempo so often. She has great technique, with which she can "go places" ;) good luck.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:29:43 PM
That was beautiful.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert