Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: DUEL - Mozart K330,1st mvt  (Read 5384 times)

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
DUEL - Mozart K330,1st mvt
on: November 12, 2007, 01:03:16 PM
I refer to the thread "A Mozart duel"
Hopefully one or two more participants are joining me :)

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Re: DUEL - Mozart K330,1st mvt
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 04:46:08 PM
Okay, it's a bit embarrassing to have a duel and no one else turns up. :-[ Never mind, duel is off I guess. What was funny about this one was it's very short deadline, 24 hours. It meant a quick revision, put up the microphones and hit the rec button, for better or worse. Needless to say, it could do with some polishing.

Any one care to comment, good or bad?

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:33:31 AM
Hi Dani-lo,

Sorry about the duel-duckers!  I listened and enjoyed it very much.  You are an excellent Mozart player.  (Did you learn this in 24 hours??)

Keep up the good work--your Mozart is lovely.  ;D

Teresa

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 04:30:51 AM
Nice work, danilo!

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 05:45:37 AM
Thanks both!
(I feel better now :D)
No, played it last may, and many times before that.
It took like seven hours to relearn, have some coffes, and make a few takes until I had one I could live with.
Maybe 10pm-5am?
Church is empty those hours.
And I can't sleep anyway! :)

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:26:33 PM
yesterday , My teacher and I decided to learn this sonata! He instructed me to learn to first two pages for this week !  I think you play it really  very nice , mozart like and happy. The quality of the recording is nice. What is your equipment and piano ?

Can I ask you how you managed the part with the triplets measure 27 - 29. The recording shows that you play this spot with so much ease. Im a bit scared of this measure . I dont dare to go to my lesson without being able to play the triplets  :-\. my teacher said that i should play hands seperately first and get them up the final speed. Only then i can play both hands together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! :)!!!!
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 03:43:14 PM
Thank you!

It's a Steinway O in a church.Two large-membrane cardioid chinese microphones (brand TSM, basically the same as ADK A-51), A-B stereo, ca 50cm between mics, appr 1meter from piano, Zoom H4 digital recorder.

The triplets...well, I suppose I use the first note of every triplet to keep time, so to speak, and the other two just follow along. That is, I don't really think triplets, I think rhythm. Maybe you can try to practice like this: play only the first note of every triplet with the little finger for the whole passage, ie measures 26-29, and make it really 'swing'. When it feels good, try to add the rest of the notes with the lightest of touch. Be very relaxed and don't emphasise any of them. Emphasis should be on the first only, but not necessarily made louder than the others. Rather, the emphasis is mental, physical, rhythmical. When you thus keep strict time with both hands, everything should fall in place by itself naturally! Hope it helps!

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 05:24:00 PM
wow you are very lucky to have access to such nice equipment XD
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 06:38:17 AM
That was lovely.  :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 01:23:16 PM
concerning the first trills. did I hear it correctly that you play d c d c d c de  ?
or do you start with the writtten note?

are the rules for ornaments teh same as in bachs time that you have to start with the upper note? im completely clueless im playing them d c d c d c de

ganymed

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 03:39:48 PM
Thank you, goldentone!

Ganymed, I start trilling on D, then resolve it with B-C-D-E-G.
Someone else would be better at answering about 'rules'. I would in this case try different trills. Try starting on C. Try on D. Change speeds, fast or slow. The least amount of trilling I can think of would be C-D-C-B-C-D-E-G. Do it according to your present ability!

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:39:44 PM
Thank you, goldentone!

Ganymed, I start trilling on D, then resolve it with B-C-D-E-G.
Someone else would be better at answering about 'rules'. I would in this case try different trills. Try starting on C. Try on D. Change speeds, fast or slow. The least amount of trilling I can think of would be C-D-C-B-C-D-E-G. Do it according to your present ability!

Thannks for helping me one more question. Do you play the  B and C as a grace note for the D E
`?

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 06:31:07 PM

Thannks for helping me one more question. Do you play the B and C as a grace note for the D E
`?

I don't completely understand the question, but I think the answer is yes. They would typically appear in smaller print on the score. I don't think I've ever heard a performer not playing them. Which is not a good excuse, of course. So, we have a tradition. But do we (who play it like that) understand it correctly? Why don't you try and find out? :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert