Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Improv - Whirl you ever present central heating!  (Read 4278 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Improv - Whirl you ever present central heating!
on: February 02, 2008, 05:26:26 AM
Inspired by the central heating of my house that constantly adds room ambiance when it is quiet. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - Whirl you ever present central heating!
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 01:41:38 AM
Just a bit o' Op.35 mvt. 4.

The wind over the grave?  :o

No, just the central heating.  :D ;D

Brilliant.  8)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:01:38 AM
Thanks for listening.  I wasn't really thinking of Freddy's piece at that moment, but I guess one can have many perspectives.   :)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:53 PM
Thanks for listening.  I wasn't really thinking of Freddy's piece at that moment, but I guess one can have many perspectives.   :)

Maybe it was just me but I hear a very similar harmonic outline and of course the perpetual motion. I didn't mean to imply that you copied Chopin. But I do think it was in the back of your mind somewhere and it contributed to this improv.

Or not...
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:58:48 AM
Maybe it was subliminal messaging.  Telling me that I haven't listened to this piece in a while and I should do that  :D 

When in my youth, I would try to imitate such romantic works and figurations but my fingers were not up to the job.  So I decided to work on cool harmonic progressions instead. 

Offline mwhite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:14:05 AM
I'm not into Whirl, but I stumbled onto your Turina Op 55 No. 5 while searching for Granados Spanish Dance No. 3.  Your Turina was fantastic!  Please post more Turina, Granados, or Albeniz. 
Mike White

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 05:46:46 AM
This is a most interesting improv.  Great sound too.  Nice playing!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline pianogeek_cz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 04:40:12 PM
Ooooh I looove the textures! :D
This is certainly an inspiration.
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz (Without cunning a nation shall fall,  Salvation Come By Many Good Counsels)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:04:40 AM
Thanks.

mwhite, I'll make a note of posting more Spanish music.  In the meantime you might enjoy this:  https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,12249.0.html
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert