Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Shostakovich Piano Trio No 2 in E minor  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Pumkinhead

• PS Silver Member
Shostakovich Piano Trio No 2 in E minor
on: February 06, 2008, 08:54:11 AM
Hey guys, I just got the recording of a recent chamber concert that I played with my trio, and thought I'd share it with you guys. The quality is pretty good, but at times it sounds like the mic is underneath the piano lol. I've been playing with these people for about a year and a half, ever since I began Freshman year at UCLA. They're both very talented musicians, and I have learned so much about voicing, musicianship, and practice ethics from them.

Feel free to give a critique. I honestly think we've played it better in concert, but I'm always open to criticism.

Here's the first two movements. I'll reply with the third and fourth. We put a lot of thought into this trio, so I hope you like it!

Drew

PS: My cellist sends her deepest apoligies for botching the opening harmonics  ;D

Offline Pumkinhead

• PS Silver Member
Re: Shostakovich Piano Trio No 2 in E minor
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:59:02 AM
Third and FOurth Movement.

We have a big performance for the Chancellor of UCLA coming up, so respond with a Critique!

Offline Pumkinhead

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:18:08 PM
Bump   ::) Hey i'm desperate! lol

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:11:53 PM
dear punmkinhead:
first and foremost, thank you! it's a cold evening, i'm working on the music department and there was no music at all. this trio saved the night!

then, i should say that it seems a performance that is eager for development: you all know the notes, but i think you must know each other a bit more. furthermore, shostakovich writing is a very dense one. in general, i had the sensation that you were more concerned about reaching the end that enjoying his textures and moods.

please, don't understand me in the wrong way: your performance is very good, and it's just because of it that i am writing here. i actually think you can render this trio is a magnificent way.

an important remark: there are minor problems of tuning (opening of 1st mov, some parts of 2nd) that your mates must solve.

best!

Offline steinway4

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:55:23 AM
you made excelent work!!
i liked it a lot...

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:21:51 PM
Thank you so much for posting this fantastic trio in the Audition Room.  It is rare when we get chamber music, but always welcome.  Shostakovich's works are so much work, and you deserve to be commended for preparing this.  Do you play the Quintet, by the way?

I have never seen the score to this movement, so cannot respond in detail, but I will say I feel it is good, but needs more development, more expansion, more atmosphere, those intangible things which come only with immersing oneself totally in the music.  One does not doubt that your group can do it.

Again thank you for keeping the content of the Audition Room interesting and engaging.  Too often one logs on, only to log off in disgust, after seeing the top ten posts in the Audition Room are all responses to junk performances of standard repertoire by pseudo-provocative Florence Foster Jenkins characters, who might as well be dropping napalm on the piano.

It is a sad day when our colleagues cannot see fit to comment on real efforts like this, and only comment on that which makes them snicker and feel superior.

Walter Ramsey

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 04:39:42 AM
Hi Pumkinhead

Sorry that we didn't respond to your request for feedback in February.  Nevertheless, I'm sure that your performance was well received.

This ensemble music is a welcome addition to all the solo piano music posted here.  I'm not familiar with this trio, but believe that you achieved a good balance among the instruments, collaborated well, and performed with solid musicianship throughout.  It's certainly a fine and creditable performance.  I'd encourage you all to keep playing together as it will enhance your capabilities as you explore the repertoire for piano trio.    
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert