Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Barcarolle F# major  (Read 4776 times)

Offline polonaise

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Barcarolle F# major
on: March 18, 2008, 12:41:12 PM
My recording of Chopin's Barcarolla. I had only one chance for record so i was very nervous and i did a lot of mistakes... but I want to know few comments about my playing...

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Barcarolle F# major
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:54:46 PM
I think you should rethinking the introduction (the few bars of the beginning I mean). You're doing rubato after striking the first high note ... but I think once you strike the first high note you're in your first phrase and shouldn't do rubato that much at the beginning of the very first phrase. Watch your tone too, I think it's a bit too clear and bright. When first theme comes in, I think your RH is well singed ... but you move too much in pulse in rubato I think. Sometime you ritard the first beats, take more time on the phrase ending, etc. It's a very subtle rubato but I don't think it's appropriate between such small elements of a small phrase. Rubato, when applied, should be more general and you should watch structure when you apply some. There is a study of tone in the Barcarolle that necessites really quite a few pedal effects ... you should try and do experiments with that as I think your tone is definitely too bright and clear for the barcarolle.

Offline polonaise

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:57:10 AM
Thanks a lot! Those advices seems to be quite smart...

sorry for my english...
it's almost so bed, like my playing...

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:06:21 PM
Thanks a lot! Those advices seems to be quite smart...

sorry for my english...
it's almost so bed, like my playing...

lol I guess you meant "bad", not bed, because a bed is where you sleep  ;D Anyways I don't think your playing was bad, quite the oppposite it was very good! But you know, there are allways things you can do better  ;)

Offline polonaise

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:03:31 PM
hahaha... I told you, my english is bAd  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert