Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: [VIDEO] Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 8 in F Major  (Read 5763 times)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
[VIDEO] Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 8 in F Major
on: April 29, 2008, 10:20:13 AM
If you didn't know by now, I finished the DVD for my recital on 02/20/2007 and have been in the process of encoding portions of it to put on youtube for a few days now.  This one is Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 8 in F Major.  Hope you enjoy!

Josh
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline kd

• PS Silver Member
Re: [VIDEO] Chopin Etude Op. 10 No. 8 in F Major
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:25:09 PM
Wow, it was wonderful, just showed the entire virtuosic and musical potential of this etude! Just a small suggestion: it would be nice to have a real ritardando right before the final passage going down and up, and perhaps a slight ritardando before the second entry of the main theme.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:05:00 AM
You ever reply in your own posts or do you only post these vids for wasting forum space? :S
I say this, because if i want to see clips ill go to youtube myself and see some Kissin or Lugansky. This is a forum though and only post stuff if you're willing to discuss.

gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:39:11 AM
You ever reply in your own posts or do you only post these vids for wasting forum space? :S
I say this, because if i want to see clips ill go to youtube myself and see some Kissin or Lugansky. This is a forum though and only post stuff if you're willing to discuss.

gyzzzmo

Of course I reply to my own threads... I'm not just posting to annoy you personally.  I thought it was understood that in posting ones playing on here implies that the poster is looking for honest opinions from knowledgeable pianists. 

I'm sorry that your honest opinion is that my playing is a waste of space.  :'(
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:47:19 AM
Wow, it was wonderful, just showed the entire virtuosic and musical potential of this etude! Just a small suggestion: it would be nice to have a real ritardando right before the final passage going down and up, and perhaps a slight ritardando before the second entry of the main theme.

Thanks for the input!  I can see what you mean about those two locations, and yes a slight ritard could be one way to do that.  I find that too much ritard in this piece makes it lose its drive, though, and I was already taking my good ole time with my rubato in the coda.    ;)

Best,

Josh

___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline soderlund

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:04:38 AM
I working on this very difficult etude, and have been for some time too. Your playing is very inspiring and helpful, thanks for sharing this. Awesome technique, obviously, and you bring out the left hand very well, it is balanced all the way.

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:30:35 PM
Great work!  I've heard this etude a million times at the Cleveland International competition, and I'd say you'd stack up very well against the competition.  Good tempo, steady rhythm, solid technique.  Thanks for posting a video--it's fun to see people instead of just hearing them.

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 06:18:51 PM
Amazing :)

I love you playing. Since this is an etude I have to comment that your technic is very fluent and you play even.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 12:27:36 PM
Very nice!  This is a very difficult etude, and you play it with nice evenness and exciting tempo.  If you would like a suggestion, I would say sometimes I don't hear the LH melody quite well enough, and around 50 sec, the transition to the minor needs more clarity.  In fact maybe look at all the transition points, because I am not sure I follow where you are going when the harmonies get a little bit murky.  It's good to think about what you want the listener to hear in terms of the general direction.

These points are picky, but when you play this well, you have to get down to the tiniest nuances.  Then you pull off a spectacular performance!
Great work  ;D
Teresa

Offline nyonyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 09:03:08 PM
Very nice!  This is a very difficult etude, and you play it with nice evenness and exciting tempo.  If you would like a suggestion, I would say sometimes I don't hear the LH melody quite well enough, and around 50 sec, the transition to the minor needs more clarity.  In fact maybe look at all the transition points, because I am not sure I follow where you are going when the harmonies get a little bit murky.  It's good to think about what you want the listener to hear in terms of the general direction.

These points are picky, but when you play this well, you have to get down to the tiniest nuances.  Then you pull off a spectacular performance!
Great work  ;D
Teresa

Agree 100% with Teresa assessment. It is a good performance. Not to mention that this is an extremely difficult piece. My only feedback is in the middle, you started losing breath. You playing was not as clear as at the beginning. I am comparing your performance to that of Pollini or other professional. Anyway, if you keep practicing and clean up the middle part, it will be a great perfromance. This kind of piece suits your style.

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 02:25:58 AM
i think it's solid and a pleasant experience. just my opinion on that last chords i think the last few should not slow down  get or softer.
i'm not asian

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:42:30 AM
Great work!  I've heard this etude a million times at the Cleveland International competition, and I'd say you'd stack up very well against the competition.  Good tempo, steady rhythm, solid technique.  Thanks for posting a video--it's fun to see people instead of just hearing them.

Thanks!  I worked on this etude some as an undergrad as well... amazing what happens when work on something again after a few years. lol

Very nice!  This is a very difficult etude, and you play it with nice evenness and exciting tempo. 

:)  Thanks!

Agree 100% with Teresa assessment. It is a good performance. Not to mention that this is an extremely difficult piece. My only feedback is in the middle, you started losing breath. You playing was not as clear as at the beginning. I am comparing your performance to that of Pollini or other professional. Anyway, if you keep practicing and clean up the middle part, it will be a great perfromance. This kind of piece suits your style.

I think perhaps the reason for that may be that this was the first piece in the second half of the recital -- and was followed by another 9 etudes by Rach, Scriabin and liszt... maybe I was subconsciously holding back a bit to save for later?

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback!

i think it's solid and a pleasant experience. just my opinion on that last chords i think the last few should not slow down  get or softer.

Yeah, there are several opinions I have heard over the years on how to pull off those last few chords.  I think in the end one should choose an approach that makes the most sense to the performer.  ;)
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert