Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti K. 125  (Read 2617 times)

Offline rimbaud

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti K. 125
on: May 17, 2008, 10:23:27 AM
This is my first post in the "audition room"...  I didn't include any repeats and sorta spaced at the end of the first part.  Anyway, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Offline kard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti K. 125
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:50:44 PM
3.75/5  ;)

I don't know if it was my speakers or what, but for a while i couldnt hear the separate voicings...It was like a mass of notes+speed lol
If it isn't my speakers I would suggest you find ways to guide the listener to something specific. (through dynamics, accents etc.)

On a second listen through, it really does sound like its more of an equipment problem. (my speakers, your recorder etc.) Thanks for posting :)

4/5

Offline rimbaud

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:17:48 AM
     Thank you very much for your reply kard!  You're absolutely right, I think this recording does sound very flat and very mushy.  I've had significant trouble recording the piano properly... I'm a complete novice when it comes to microphones, placement etc.  At first I recorded in a small room with the mic relatively close to the piano.  The sound was brittle and percussive.  Then I recorded again in a larger room with the microphone much farther from the piano (this is the recording I posted).  The brittleness was gone but at the expense of clarity and dynamic range.  Also, the mic only picked up sound for the right speaker which i don't understand. 
    Can anyone recommend good microphones etc. and tips on how to place them properly?  At the moment I have a minidisc recorder and the mic that came with it.

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 01:13:57 PM
This is my first post in the "audition room"...  I didn't include any repeats and sorta spaced at the end of the first part.  Anyway, feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

sounded well played to me. I don't know the piece, but other than crummy sound quality like my recording, souded great.

Nick
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert