Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Louie - Warrior (Live)  (Read 3190 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Louie - Warrior (Live)
on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:25 AM
I recently played a benefit concert for Multiple sclerosis.  It almost didn't happen, as only 2 days before a very close relative of mine passed away.  It was very unexpected as she was very young and preparing to get married in the fall.  However, family did convince me to go ahead with it and think of it as offering the music in loving memory.

The concert consisted of mostly Canadian new music works.  I did play quite a number of chamber music pieces in addition to this piece.  Got to do a lot of fun stuff inside the piano as well.  The concert was held in a medium sized church, with excellent acoustics. 

Here's Alexina Louie's "Warrior". 

Mics: Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C2

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Louie - Warrior (Live)
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:05:42 PM
Hi quantum,

As you know I'm not too much into contemporary music.  But I listened to "Warrior" and was impressed by both the composition and your excellent performance.  I really enjoyed listening to your playing.  Great job!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:05:39 AM
Impressive, Quantum. 
Thanks for sharing.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline lina rose

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:39:44 PM
hi quantum, i'm sorry to read about your relative, but your performance was great. thanks for posting it!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:37:57 PM
Thanks to all of you for listening and commenting. 

Rachfan, Louie is indeed an excellent composer.  Her style of composition is quite accessible to the ear, and to those who do not normally go for contemporary music. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:56:23 AM
Hi quantum,

Yes, that's exactly what I immediately surmised too.  (If a contemporary work is not random, abstruse "music", it gets my attention, as in this instance.)  I also notice that Alexina Louie is in the repertoire guides, so clearly her compositions are being played and noticed increasingly.  Again, I think you did a super job performing this piece.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:34:19 AM
This is a really cool piece!  And I was looking through the new syllabus for RCM, and they've added this piece to the Performer's ARCT, which is pretty neat.  Alexina Louie's music comes up all over the place now in the syllabus.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 06:39:23 AM
I haven't had a look at the new syllabus yet, but I'm glad more of this music is being put to the forefront for students to take notice. 

The first time I heard this piece was on CBC Radio 2 (before the recently horrid changes to their program lineup).  I casually turned on the radio and was flipping through the stations when I heard this music.  It's like she transports you to another world.  My immediate reaction was - this sounds so cool! 

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert