Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin: Nouvelle Etude 1 (advise please :-))  (Read 2853 times)

Offline monkeyyy

• PS Silver Member
Chopin: Nouvelle Etude 1 (advise please :-))
on: September 02, 2008, 06:51:42 AM
Hey!
This is one of the pieces I'm practicing at this moment. Problem: I'm not sure anymore how to practice this etude....though I think it's still somewhat unrhythmical and maybe 'too busy'.. What do you think? Do you've tips to make it sound better? Or practice tips?
Thank you very much!!

Marianne

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin: Nouvelle Etude 1 (advise please :-))
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 11:27:25 PM
The beginning is way too dry, and should be much more poetic, mysterious, and vocal.  It gets better, when the left hand comes in.

You don't sound like you have problems playing the piece.  Your dissatisfaction stems from a certain lack of attention to the artistic aspects of the music.  I think you will feel more comfortable, if you stop worrying about how to practice it, and start thinking about what the music means to you, specifically.

Good job!

Walter Ramsey

Offline monkeyyy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin: Nouvelle Etude 1 (advise please :-))
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:49:35 PM
Thank you very much for your insightful comments :-)
I indeed kind of forgot to pay attention to this, because I was so busy thinking about the rhythm and unwanted accents. Even though I like the more musical work much better :D. To go short, I'm going to do what you suggest :)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert