Piano Forum

Topic: Meditation on the Christmas Octave - Improv  (Read 4435 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Meditation on the Christmas Octave - Improv
on: December 31, 2008, 10:18:57 AM
Sometimes I wish I did turn MIDI recording on...

Wonderful recent advances in jOrgan.  American Classic Organ after Aeolian-Skinner (Stratman).

Listen with headphones or speakers with good bass response.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Meditation on the Christmas Octave - Improv
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 10:36:56 AM
Well, I am awake at what is a very late (or early) hour, and this is very relaxing. From the title I was expecting Messiaen, but this is completely different. It strikes me different from what I’ve typically heard from you, also (at least up to the 6 minute mark….There’s a certain sentimentality…

Anyway, the sound is good, and the mood, soothing for this too late hour.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:06 AM
Thanks for listening.  Actually I got part of the idea for the sound while watching random YouTube vids and had come across a promo for a new CD of 21st century organ music. 

I should also go to bed. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:03:05 PM
Sorry for the naive question: is the Christmas octave an organ stop?
I am listening and I like the intimate and melancholic atmosphere, it fits in this time of the year :) Do you play organ in church as well?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 09:42:06 PM
Sorry for the naive question: is the Christmas octave an organ stop?
I am listening and I like the intimate and melancholic atmosphere, it fits in this time of the year :) Do you play organ in church as well?

Considering that organ stops can have some unusual names it is a good question.  I was referring to the liturgical definition of the Christmas octave.  The eight days that follow Dec 25.  See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave_(liturgical)

Although "octave" is the name of an organ stop, not sure if someone has created a "Christmas octave" stop. 

Here was my registration:
Pedal: 16' Violone, 8' Spitzflote
Choir:  8' Dolcan, 8' Dolcan Celeste
Great:  8' Erzahler, 8' Flute Harmonique
Swell:  8' Gedeckt, 8' Oboe
Couplers: Ch to Ped 8'

Yes I play organ in church, every Sunday.  Have to conduct the choirs as well.  The thing about classical organ training is that it includes studies in improvisation.  Something I wish would be brought to more attention with classical piano studies.  One has to do a lot of it when one accompanies a service.  In places like France, you can hear some serious improv used every Sunday. 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:45:47 PM
In 1991 I have made a sort of pilgrimage trip to Chartres, France. I heard some incredible organ improv there on sunday morning, while I was outside the cathedral and waiting until people had left the service. A special moment :)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:18:20 AM
I have two discs worth of Messiaen improvising, and it is some amazing stuff. Also if you frequent organ recitals it is not abnormal to have improvisation on the program.

As a pianist and not an organist, I've included improvisation in the midst of a full program, and not only was it very freeing and engaging for me, I think it went over well with the (however captive) audience. I think this would be a good trend for pianists who like this sort of thing.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:35:40 AM
Hi quantum,

I must say, you always surprise me somehow. :)  First, I never knew you were an organist and well as a pianist.  Also in that same regard, you play a beautiful legato organ line--no "choppy organ", so you must have formally studied the instrument.  Your improv has a nostalgic, bitter-sweet character to it.  It seems to recall something very touching from the past, but that is gone forever.  I was transfixed listening to it.  It's a very beautiful improv.  Thanks for sharing it. 
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline force

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 11:18:41 PM
hey quantum

wow that impressed me. i love that bass. its deep and dark. but that melody is incredible. very nice tone sequence. in 3:30-3:33 it has something by brahms i think. i must say, some notes are curious for me, but thats your work...
I say that was pretty cool.  ;)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:26:52 PM
Rachfan,

Thanks for your comments.  My formal organ study to this point has been minimal.  Most of my learning came from a lot of reading, listening to recordings, YouTube vids, live concerts and conversations with organists I meet.  I've applied a lot of what I learned in piano pedagogy to learning the organ.  Studying organ has wonderful benefits to piano technique, such as a greater awareness of finger control especially to things such as legato. 

Your improv has a nostalgic, bitter-sweet character to it.  It seems to recall something very touching from the past, but that is gone forever. 

There may be some truth to this.  Christmas has always been the largest celebration of the year in my family.  This year we lost a young member of our family to a brain tumor.  Would be our first Christmas without her.  Although I wasn't intending the improv to be about this subject, it has been on my mind.  Isn't it magical how music seems to communicate such things?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:27 PM
Force,

Thanks for listening and commenting.  That section does have a touch of Brahms doesn't it. 

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:21:46 AM
Hi quantum,

If you've learned to play the organ pretty much on your own, my hat is off to you!  You've accomplished a lot.

I'm so sorry to hear of the tragic loss of a dear family member.  But I think she'll always be with you in your beautiful improvisation.

David   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert