Piano Forum

Topic: "Distance" - Improvisation  (Read 3618 times)

Offline javacisnotrecognized

• PS Silver Member
"Distance" - Improvisation
on: January 06, 2009, 09:56:23 PM
This was recorded on a piano at a local college (Think it was a Steinway 6 footer). They had a 9 footer, but it was inside the recital hall, which was locked up :(.

The recording is very soft, so you may have to turn your volume way up to hear it. There's also an annoying buzz. If anyone knows how to fix these things, please tell me.

Recorded 12/7/08

Edit: Quantum has kindly made some edits to the original. You can download the updated version here: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32683.0;attach=5645 . The original is still attached for anyone who wants it.

Offline iwo

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Distance" - Improvisation
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:12:15 PM
Very moving piece! I like the range of dynamics as well:)
Don't worry about noises, I've got random radiators clicks lol
Thank you for sharing your creativity!

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:25:24 AM
I like this improv, and I like your playing a lot.  What did you record this on?  You're pretty limited right now with only one channel.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:18 AM
I enjoyed your playing, the music is melancholy and meditative. 

After examining the wav in Audition, it looks like there may have been a audio cable fault, or one of the connections was not fully seated.  Good thing is that there was a good deal of silence before you started playing.  This allowed to make a noise profile and filter out the buzz using Audition's noise removal tool.  I didn't go for a complete noise removal as the program would allow, as this results in too many artifacts and a warped piano sound.  Copied the R channel to L, this is not true stereo but it is better than hearing through only one ear.  I did a hard limit to bring down those 2 or 3 clips in the recording, followed by a normalization to 99%.  It should sound a bit louder now. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline javacisnotrecognized

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:54:02 AM
Very moving piece! I like the range of dynamics as well:)
Don't worry about noises, I've got random radiators clicks lol
Thank you for sharing your creativity!

Thanks, although I didn't hear any 'random radiator clicks' on your recording..

I like this improv, and I like your playing a lot.  What did you record this on?  You're pretty limited right now with only one channel.

This was made with Windows Sound Recorder and a mic I found attached to an old headset. All this stuff comes with me when I play on good pianos. I'm still working on getting more channels - for starters I'm looking for a better program. Probably I need to record the channels separately and then combine them, yes?

Quantum: Thank you for the edits. The OP has been updated. Glad you liked my playing :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00:52 AM
This was made with Windows Sound Recorder and a mic I found attached to an old headset. All this stuff comes with me when I play on good pianos. I'm still working on getting more channels - for starters I'm looking for a better program. Probably I need to record the channels separately and then combine them, yes?

Quantum: Thank you for the edits. The OP has been updated. Glad you liked my playing :)

Glad to help.

As for sound recording program you can try Audacity.  It is free and open source, and has many features of the professional programs.  https://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You could go and buy a cheap computer mic (without a headset attached).  These are generally stereo, so you don't have to deal with copying one channel to the other.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 08:56:27 PM
really nice melodies. Shame you couldnt get on the 9fter ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert