Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt: Mephisto Waltz No. 1 (rec. 2007) & Tchaikovsky: Dumka (rec. 2008)  (Read 2743 times)

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
I re-transferred this recording today.........
I think it sounds better now, as I used the wrong transfer method in the past (which ripped a recording that was already encoded 256 Atrac 3 to that same format again).

This is one recording of myself that I can actually listen to. Of course there are many things I can do better now, but I am still proud of it. I also remember that I had to record it 12 or 13 times in a row, because I didn't like the sound (the mindisc compressed all of the dynamic levels, it was all mezzo-forte. Then, I finally hooked it up to that Minidisc microphone, and the results were quite good.)Too bad I was very tired by then, after recording for about 4 hours. 

I also added the Dumka from last year. I actually project all the nuances here: they come out on the recording.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt: Mephisto Waltz No. 1 (rec. 2007)
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 01:47:23 AM
Hi M,

Bravo!  You played the waltz with wonderful clarity, panache, and expressiveness.  I still marvel at the precise evenness you bring to your articulation in playing intricate figurations and passage work.  This is a really fine performance.  You show much empathy with Liszt when playing his music.  Congratulations on your achievement!   
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:12:48 AM
This sounds great, Mikhail!  Really, this is very impressive, you are one talented guy.  On an average day, how much do you sleep and how much do you practice?  I'm just wondering because I feel like I never get enough of either!

Offline mkaykov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:07:02 PM
heh, usually I practice 4 hours a day, sometimes a little less. I usually get 8 hours of sleep per night. I know I should be working harder than  this, but I am VERY lazy.

I think some of the articulation is exaggerated in this recording because of the close mic placement, but its is actually good in this case.

I found my recording of the Dumka, which I thought I had lost.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert