Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: G. Catoire, Chants du crepuscule, Op. 24, No. 3  (Read 4168 times)

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
G. Catoire, Chants du crepuscule, Op. 24, No. 3
on: July 02, 2009, 11:36:02 PM
Georgy Catoire composed his Chants du crepuscule, Op. 24 c. 1914, a set of four songs without words. Probably the best translation of the title would be Songs of the Twilight (or as some Europeans might prefer, Songs of the Half-Light.)  Unlike, for example, Schumann’s "Gesange der Fruhe", or "Songs" of the Dawn", Catoire’s ambiguity does not divulge whether he had in mind dawn or dusk.  All of these pieces are very atmospheric—and difficult to play well.  Perhaps there is a connection of this music to Victor Hugo’s Les Chants du Crepuscule, four volumes of poetry dating from 1835.  Although Catoire was Russian born, he was of French heritage, so might well have been quite familiar with the works of Hugo, and maybe was inspired by them.  The pieces in this set are translucent and somewhat impressionistic, but still with a late romantic tinge too.  In the “Chant No. 3” presented here, from the shifting tonal centers I sense a possible influence of Faure, yet the work is highly original too.  I hope you’ll enjoy this music.  

Comments welcome.

Piano: Baldwin Model L Artist Grand (6’3”), just tuned
Recorder: Korg MR-1000 DSD
Mics: Earthworks TC20 matched pair of small diaphragm omni-directional condenser microphones

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: G. Catoire, Chants du crepuscule, Op. 24, No. 3
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:40:21 AM
Oh, my gosh!  That is such a beautiful piece!   I love it! 
And your playing is exquisite,  Thank you for sharing.    :)

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:54:42 AM
Hi go,

Thanks for your kind words. :)  I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline allthumbs

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:08:23 AM
Another great performance worthy of my mp3 player.

allthumbs
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 04:06:13 AM
Hi allthumbs,

Thanks for listening.  Anytime someone becomes a fan of Catoire's music, it makes my day.  Super!

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 07:05:20 AM
Hi Rachfan,

The new mics have taken your recording quality to yet another level.  They are expansive, present, and high in clarity.  

I always enjoy your background info.  It sets the stage warmly.  This Chants du crepescule is an ecelctic fusion of impressionism, romanticism, and even jazz.  It bears the wandering nature of the previous Catoire preludes you recorded.  An unsatisfied searching that yet musically satisfies.  This is another very good recording full of your rich artistry. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 02:40:58 PM
Thanks for all your comments, goldentone.  Yes, I very much agree--it is often difficult to pigeonhole Catoire's compositions, as they are indeed eclectic.  I think that characteristic is what makes his music so haunting. 

I'm glad you like the new mics.  When I first tested them, I really had to acclimate to the new sound, where I had been using the Nakamichi CM-300s since the 1980s.  Those were very good, but now I love the neutral, natural and clear sound of the Earthworks TC20s technology even more.  I believe I chose a really fine option for my recordings.

I'm glad you enjoyed hearing this "Chant" of Catoire.

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:23 PM
Sensitive playing of an atmospheric and interesting piece. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:05 AM
Hi Sylphes,

I'm glad you enjoyed hearing this piece.  One of the elements of Catoire's music that I really like is the atmospheric nature that is so often present.  It gives me great pleasure trying to recreate that lyrical mood for the listener.  Thanks for taking time to listen!  

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 09:42:21 AM
Piano music featured high in Catoire's output and it deserves to be better known; for anyone interested in hearing more of this repertoire, I can recommend the following CD in which Marc-André Hamelin plays
Caprice, Op. 3
Intermezzo, Op. 6 No. 5
Trois morceaux, Op. 2
Prélude ,Op. 6 No. 2 / Scherzo, Op. 6 No. 3
Vision, Op. 8
Cinq morceaux, Op. 10
Quatres preludes, Op. 17
Chants du crépuscule, Op. 24
Poème, Op. 34 No. 2 / Prélude, Op. 34 No. 3
Valse, Op. 36.

It's on Hyperion and its catalogue number is CDA67090

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 01:52:38 PM
Hi Alistair,

I'm certainly glad you enjoyed my performance of this work.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert