Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Three Pieces for Orchestra - Jeremy Ricketson  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Nightscape

• PS Silver Member
Three Pieces for Orchestra - Jeremy Ricketson
on: May 13, 2005, 07:15:55 PM
1. "Ruins of a Stone Fortress"
2. "Sunset"
3. "Resting Place"

Offline greyrune

• PS Silver Member
Re: Three Pieces for Orchestra - Jeremy Ricketson
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 10:22:32 PM
it's very tranquil, i like it.  I have to say i phased out of it slightly half way through on the first listen.  That's probably good though, i take it you're looking for the calming atmospheric type of thing, if so you captured it very well.
I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 09:51:48 AM
I rather liked these, especially the first one. I'm not sure I would use the word tranquil to describe them though; there is something dark, something spectral, something nasty in the woodshed, so to speak, which association I find most attractive.

I listen to a lot of orchestral stuff and these days I often think of my playing as orchestral - not perhaps in my old pieces, such as the one I posted, but certainly in improvisation and more recent compositions. It might not be every pianist's cup of tea to think that way but I've acquired the habit over the years. It seems to give my creative impulse a kick.

Keep writing these orchestral pieces, Jeremy - there are some nice things in them.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 02:37:39 PM
These are really cool Jeremy! I think you should apply at Squaresoft to be a composer for video games...it seems to me you must be influenced by the style of music in such games as Final Fantasy, The Legend of Zelda, and others. Some of the harmonies in the first one sounded like the dungeon music from Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert