Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI 37; L 50 mov. 1,2  (Read 5192 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI 37; L 50 mov. 1,2
on: June 07, 2005, 08:53:33 PM
These are older recordings of the first and second movement only, posted in June 2005.  Since then, I have taken suggestions given in this thread and have posted new recordings of the entire sonata here :

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,14086.msg151375.html#msg151375

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Haydn: Sonata in D, Hob. XVI 37; L 50 mv 1,2
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:28:15 AM
It could be articulated more; it is, after all, Haydn. I think it's pretty important in Haydn and Mozart to be very clear because every note is so important. The tempo seems a little on the slow side, not too much though. I mean, it's acceptable, but I prefer faster. Overall, I don't think it has enough Haydnesque character- that is, a big rhythmic buoyancy (not really sure how to spell that word). Anyway, more emphasis on every beat. My teacher describes it as "farmerish".  ::)

EDIT: I forgot to mention you could have a significantly larger dynamic range to give a more effective performance.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:31:15 AM
Gotta love that second movement! Well done.

Offline Toivot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:28:18 PM
Wow, I love the first mvt. I don't think it should be faster.

Very nice, although I think there's a little mistake around 00:30
The piano has you.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 07:35:51 PM
Thanks for your comments.  I have been thinking about them and experimenting.  I will post this sonata again (in its entirety) in about a month  ;D

m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline allthumbs

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 07:35:46 AM

m1469, I really enjoyed your Haydn (both movements). Good job! ;D

Cheers

allthumbs
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:56:24 PM
Oh, I didn't see that this thread had re-surfaced.  Thanks, allthumbs, for listening and for your supportive response  :)

m1469

Offline gaer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 03:23:05 AM
Wow, I love the first mvt. I don't think it should be faster.

Very nice, although I think there's a little mistake around 00:30
I agree! I heard Arrau play this live, years ago, and I don't believe he played it much faster.

m1469, I notice that your RH sounds quite even and nicely articulated at times, but your hands are slightly out of sync at times. I believe that means that your LH is lagging a bit, trying to catch up. Don't be too hard on yourself, but listen carefully and I think you will hear where your hands are not together.

But I really think you have the right feel. I have a radical suggestion: have you ever though of doing mini-recordings? For instance, instead of doing one recording of the whole piece (that is HARD!!!), perhaps record the recapitulation, spending a little extra work on a couple rough spots. Darn, I wish I had a score.

Please keep at it. I think it's going to shape up just fine with a little more time. Let me be just a bit "personal" here and state, for the fact, that nothing I play or record sounds remotely right the first time I learn it, sometimes even the second or third time I review it. I play LOTS of different music all the time, just waiting for different things to "mature", and if I had a short time to re-learn your Hadyn, I don't believe it would come out as well as yours.

Over all, it's good!

Gaer

Offline Torp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 02:18:57 PM
m1469, take everything I say about technical stuff with a grain of salt because I can't play this piece to begin with. As such, most of my thoughts revolve around what I’ll call the “emotional content” I feel and sense.  I believe gaer has touched on the only technical points I am bringing up.

The first movement doesn't sound like the same person playing the second movement.  I sense a certain lack of emotional connection with the first movement and very distinct connection with the second.  I'm speaking here of my perception about the connection of the performer, i.e. your connection with the music, not "my" connection with your playing.  Though my connection is directly tied to what I sense from your playing.  In the first movement I felt the sensation of just trying to get through the notes, whereas, in the second movement, I felt a caressing of the notes, an enjoyment of the notes. In other words, what I heard was you.

Now, technically speaking, the first movement has something going on that may be leading to the feelings I have sensed above.  It sounds like, at times, the right and left hands are not playing in sync.  I sense in your playing of the 1st movement a certain hesitation, an uncertainty, a holding back.  I don't sense the confidence of m1469 in the music.  For lack of a better way to say it, I sense you're playing the first movement with your head and the second movement with your heart.  When you play with your heart, you move people.

Perhaps this connection comes from the ability to relate better to the melancholy nature of the second movement, maybe it's the inward focus of that part, i.e. it's introverted?  The first movement is extroverted; it's showing off, it's saying "hey, look at me!"  The first movement exists on an emotional level that isn't as deep or mature; it's free abandon.  It's about letting go.  In other words, you must deal with a paradox here, in order for m1469 to come through in your playing, you must get m1469 out of the way!

I think if you figure out how to make the first movement yours any "technical" issues will simply disappear because the emotional content will be so strong.  You obviously have the technical facility to play the piece....now, just let go and let it happen.

Jef
Don't let your music die inside you.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 06:08:19 PM
Well, I will admit that I feel completely re-inspired about this piece of music.  I actually feel much more inspired than I have ever felt about it before.  I had gotten to the point where I simply wished to kick its head in ... heh... but I have just put it aside.

Anyhow, I will take in these thoughts and suggestions and perhaps pick good ol' Mr Haydn back up again.  hmmmm... music is really cool  ;D

m1469

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
(new recordings)
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 01:05:29 AM

Offline palika dunno

• PS Silver Member
nice job! very musically! but sometimes it sounds as if you were running after the piece ...basically some technical imperfections...

palika  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert