Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: feedback on some composition  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Doc_Savage

• PS Silver Member
feedback on some composition
on: June 14, 2005, 06:08:21 AM
scuse me for the sound quality
i'll post 8 other compositions when i buy a new mic. ;)
thanks

Offline greyrune

• PS Silver Member
Re: feedback on some composition
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 12:28:30 PM
There are some really nice ideas here.  I loved when it broke into that melody at around 2:10 in the ballade.  However i would say there are a few things you should work on.  It's hard to hear what it really sounds like with this sound quality but quite often the flow of the music seemed to be broken, it kind of stuttered, especially in the first peice, whether this was a slip up or just the song i don't know but it broke the continuity of the piece.  Also i'd say use the alberti bass less, you didn't use it all the time but i'd just stay away from it, it's really recognisable and can seem a bit outdated.  Anyway i'll leave it to Ted and the others to give you a real critique, that's just my two cents worth.
I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 08:33:33 PM
Hi Doc, these are really good! I like your style a lot. You say these are compositions? Very nice---I haven't developed much facility with composition, myself, yet, I only improvise for now. I noticed a bass line in "no name" that I know Bach used and that I've also experimented with. Aren't those neat? I love baroque bass lines.  Keep up the good work!  :)

Offline Doc_Savage

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 09:31:09 PM
thank you very much

can you tell me the difference between composition and improvisation??

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 11:50:10 PM
I suppose composition means eventually arranging your music in your head or on sheet music  so that it has little or no variation and has some sort of coherent form to it.   Improvisation can take on the form of composition and be coherent, but it can also be formless. Improvisation is often a tool to create compositions, but it can also be an end in itself. Improvisation can be said to be rapid, spontaneous composition. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert