Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Introduction  (Read 335954 times)

Offline ericnolte

• PS Silver Member
Re: Introduction
Reply #50 on: July 01, 2003, 12:06:47 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to the piano forum, and I'm delighted to find this little haven on the web!  

This intro area seems to be about as close to a chat room as anything I've seen here so far.  Such a wide diversity of people and places!  What a nice thing!

While I got an early start at music, I never got very far until I was grown.  My parents studied with great teachers in New York during the 1940's, and were symphony string players with a regional orchestra in Richmond, Virginia.  They started me on piano and violin at around 5, which lasted until I was 8, when they allowed me to quit in a fit of ennui.  I guess they just tired of the battle to make me practice.  I sang in a choir for a couple years too.  I took another year of lessons at 14, then sort of lapsed at the piano.  Well, I continued studying piano in a desultory way, but I took only a few lessons a year till I was 18, and during this time I learned nothing, and I do mean absolutely nothing about theory.  I could barely read the notes, and everything I learned was in this bizarre combination of puzzling out the notation by a painfully slow combination of reading and remembering the sound by ear, from listening to recordings.  As pathetic as this approach was, I nevertheless learned to play some fairly hard pieces, such as the Chopin Preludes in C, G, and G minor.

In high school, I studied the french horn for three years.  I could read its single line of music okay, but I still knew very little about theory.  I got good enough at the horn to tootle my way through all the Mozart horn concerti, and I had a decent sound.  I enjoyed it, but I quit when I got braces on my teeth.  My embouchure was incorrectly based on too much pressure, so I kept shredding my lips until I just gave up.

The year I graduated from high school was the last year of the Vietnam War's lottery system for the military draft.  I "won" the lottery, meaning my birthday was the second one out of the bin, so I knew that Uncle Sugar was gunning for me.  Like everyone else in my circle of friends and family, by this time (1970), I believed that the US pursuit of this war was a cynical pose on the part of a government that was too proud to say, "whoops, we screwed up and shouldn't be here after all."  

I was trying to figure out what to do with myself, since I had many other interests too.  

I prepared a piano audition at the North Carolina School of the Arts.  They must have been REALLY hard up that year for piano students, because they accepted me!  I studied with Marjorie Mitchell (anybody know whatever happened to her?) and worked really hard and began to learn the tiniest bit about music theory.  I performed Beethoven Op. 14/1 in E for Claude Frank in master class, and the little Mozart Concerto in A, K.414, in another master class.  Then the Army caught up with me (there being no more college deferments by this point.  I thought that a better, braver man than I would have fought the draft in court, on the basis of the US Constitution's 13th Amendment, which prohibits not only slavery,  but any form of involuntary servitude, but a draft counselor told me that I stood a 99% chance of going to jail for 20 years, if I were to take this stand.  And from what anybody could know then, it seemed like going to Canada would have meant leaving my friends and family forever, so I reported for induction in June, 1972.)  As luck would have it, I was sent to Germany as an avionics technician on helicopters.  Whew!

Eight years later, I had become a commercial pilot, flying for a corporation in Saudi Arabia (which would not have been possible if I had told them I had a Jewish grandmother, some generations back, because the officials in charge of work visas in Saudi Arabia operate by a policy that sees a Jew behind every bad thing that's ever happened in whole history of the world, and they try to boycott anything Jewish....  They weren't too fond of any of us Western infidels, to tell the truth, but they couldn't find enough Saudis to do all the technical work they needed, so they hired thousands of us.)   When I returned to the US, I worked for a series of really sort of dirtbag commuter airlines, flying geriatric refugees from the old airliner's graveyard, earning no more than peanuts, and I decided enough of this!  I went back to school to get what nowadays passes for a top drawer liberal arts education.

At New College of Florida, I studied piano with Gray Perry, who once had a career as a concert pianist back in the 1930's and '40's.  He'd studied with Isador Philipp at the Paris Conservatory, and Ernest Hutcheson, in New York.  Gray's students include Marc Silverman, the chair of the piano department at the Manhattan School of Music.  (Marc also went to New College, and once told me that Gray was the only teacher he ever had who really had an interest in telling students how to go about building technique.)

I studied composition with Ron Riddle, who studied jazz piano with Oscar Peterson, and earned his PhD in ethnomusicology from Illinois, specializing in Chinese opera, of all things.  What a wild perspective he had!  What a sense of humor, and what a fount of encouragement!

So there I was, at the age of 28, and, as I said, I could play a few hard licks, but I really knew nothing about what makes music work.  I couldn't read with any fluency, I knew play only a couple scales and arpeggios in anything but a halting way. and the music bug bit me in a big way.

Actually, what happened, was I fell in love with playing the piano.  This was the year just before I went to New College.  I was still flying old DC-3's for the commuters by day.   I had an old Yamaha upright, which I lent to a friend who ran a ballet studio in Tampa.  I had a key to the place, and I would go there, after work, when everybody had gone home for the night.  

This is the crux of how I fell in love with music: I enjoyed a freedom I had never known before.  I could go into that empty ballet studio in the middle of the night, and I could play anything I wanted, without feeling that anybody was listening and passing judgement.  I could play badly, and nobody was there to give a hoot!  I could play badly, and therefore begin to learn how to play well.  So this is how I began, slowly, and haltingly, to learn to improvise and play by ear, and it was this that gave rise to my interest in composing.

At New College, Gray Perry assured me, "Son, you're not a musical failure, you just don't know beans about it yet....  Now here's how you begin to unpack this difficult phrase of music...."  He really knew how to help people.  Three years later, after practicing for an average of 6 hours a day every day of the year, I was invited to perform a solo recital for a National Music Club benefit concert in Sarasota, Florida, and nobody threw vegetables at me!

At New College, I also took up the viola, to learn something at first hand about writing for strings, and I became good enough to navigate my way through a Bach cello suite without provoking dogs into howls of pain.  Well, not many dogs anyway....

I wanted to put together a life as a musician, but man needs to eat, you know.  So I stumbled back into flying.  People Express Airlines hired me in 1983, which led to my current position as a pilot for Continental Airlines.  I've lived in and around New York City ever since, where I've continued slowly to nudge along my musical projects, and enjoy the special pleasures of family life and rearing my children, two girls who are now 12 and 9.

As an airline pilot, I enjoy far more free time than most, which allows me actually more freedom to do what I want, musically, than I likely would have found, if I'd ended up teaching harmony and counterpoint to reluctant undergraduates.  What I do miss is the immersion in music that would have come with a life as an academic or symphony player.

I think what may be interesting about my story is how it demonstrates that one need not be a child in order to start working at music, and that one can make great progress at any age, if only one approaches the matter with rigor and intelligence.

Anyway, I've gone on too long already, but if this has piqued your interest, you can discover much more of what I think about musical matters by clicking on my name and opening up some of my other posts.

Best,
Eric Nolte
Hold high the great, luminous vision of human potential. Steer by love, logic applied to the evidence of experience, honorable purpose, and self-respect (the reputation you earn with yourself.)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: August 04, 2003, 04:08:41 PM
As seems to be the norm, I will also introduce myself. I am 17 years old and live in Kent in the UK. I have been playing for over ten years and hope to go to the Royal College of Music in London next year (auditions soon... :-/ ). My favourite composers are Prokofiev, Rachmaninov and Ravel and my favourite pianist is...Martha Argerich of course. I also spend a lot of money on music that I never play...maybe I should stop this habbit!
Ed

Offline xenon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: August 05, 2003, 08:23:18 PM
Bonjour, tout le monde!

I am 16, soon to be 17 in 13 days :).  I am from Manitoba, Canada, and I have been playing the piano ever since I was five.  I have just started doing my ARCT (Associateship, ie Grade 11) in the Royal Conservatory of Music.  I hope to make it to Juilliard or Eastman soon.

On my father's side (Italian), I have a dad who sings opera (Italian, of course :)), an aunt who sings opera as well, an uncle who plays the clarinet for the orchestra and is also a music professor in the Bari Conservatory.  My cousin is a conductor/composer, and he tours around the world, and also teaches, accompanies, and performs on TV.

On my mother's side (S. Korean), I have many music-loving people, and a grandfather who is an author/historian/publisher.  Not much music there though, but is somewhat related to the arts.

My fave pianists are Horowitz, Angela Hewitt, and Askenazy.

My favourite composer is probably Chopin.  There's a list floating around somewhere...
You can't spell "Bach" without "ach"
-Xenon

Offline lone_dawg943

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: August 19, 2003, 11:05:34 PM
Hello!  Good to see y'all here! :)
My name's Domagoj, i'm 20 years old, i live in Zagreb, Croatia. I started playing the piano when i was like 7 or 8 (don't remember when exactly), and now i'm at the Zagreb University, Music Academy division, senior year. i'm also very lucky to study with a teacher who finished his entire musical education in Moscow with teachers like Boris Romanov and Tatiana Nikolaeva. How 'bout that?  ;D  :) And that's about it... i've been to a couple of competitions across Europe with mediocre results  :) except for Moncalieri, Italy in 1998 when I won, but i guess it doesn't really count as one...  :) Anyway, i'd really like to know more about everyone's music background, how y'all started it, about music school systems in your contries... i guess i should start my own thread.  :) Anyway, that's it from me for now. Peace!
nothing right in my left brain, nothing left in my right brain

Offline kevink

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2003, 10:37:45 AM
Howdy.  My name is Kevin (you might have noticed), I'm 20 years old, been playing since I was 8...  I study piano with Robin McCabe at the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington, USA.  It's neat to see so many people from around the world!  

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: October 06, 2003, 07:09:39 AM
How interesting!  There's a Rachelle McCabe that teaches down here at Oregon State (I am in Portland).  Must be related?
So much music, so little time........

Offline kevink

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: October 07, 2003, 07:07:56 AM
You guessed it.  That is Robin McCabe's sister.  Talented family...

Offline Joannetmj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: October 15, 2003, 07:40:21 PM
Hi, I'm Joanne, 12 from Malaysia. This forum scares me all right! I'm actually seeing posts from people who play in recitals and not just for their own joy! As for me I play the piano to entertain myself and relatives. Been playing the piano since 5.

I remember at age 3 or 4 I heard my elder brother play the piano. He was about 6 or 7 then. It was simple but well, I just loved it. At age 5 I started piano lessons. Found out then that it required practice, and lots of it to produce nice music! Well then my brother stopped piano at age 8 or 9 because he couldn't stand being forced to practice anymore. Guessed my parents learnt their lesson and didn't force me to practice,  just reminding me now and then.

At one point about age... 9 or 10 I think I nearly quit piano altogether. My school exams were just piling up and I didn't have the time to practice (Actually I did, but was lazy to) and my teacher was scolding me nearly every lesson because I couldn't play properly. Well a little after that I suddenly found joy in music again and started practicing my piano regularly. So now I'm currently enjoying music, but not enough to aim for a career in music or do recitals. :)
Love it here!

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: October 19, 2003, 02:34:18 AM
Hi everyone.
My name is Ahmed Anzaldua. HAlf egiptian, half mexican. I live in Mexico and Im 21 years old.
Im on my last year of school with my teacher Olga Chkourak. I started the piano when UI was like 5 years old with my grandfather. Ive won the only competition Ive ever entered, the Maria Cullel Teixido international piano competition in Costa Rica. Ive plaed some recitals. Next year I will start my masters with Dimitri Bashkirov in Spain... hopefully
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline inkiepoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: November 03, 2003, 03:56:37 AM
I just read through every post on this board and I sit here amazed at the variety of people!!

And I am pretty sure I'm the oldest here!! So many young people on here. This is just GREAT.

I am 52 and a piano teacher and organist. I began lessons when I started grade school and took piano and organ up through highschool.  I am now teaching piano on a part-time basis and have 27 students. I teach only three days a week which is exactly where I like it.

I am from northeastern Oregon in a very small town close to the Washington State border.  I also play the organ and piano at our church for the services. And I have taught recorder classes and music classes for gradeschool children.

But teaching piano is something I really enjoy doing. My recitals are made to be fun and enjoyable.  My kids always look forward to their recitals in the Spring.

I like this forum too. Thanks

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: November 03, 2003, 08:11:28 AM
Inkiepoo-

Well, if you are the oldest, it wouldn't be by much!  I am 47 and also live in Oregon - Portland.  Do you ever come to this side of the hill for piano events?  What town are you from?

Welcome to the forum!

Offline inkiepoo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: November 09, 2003, 05:13:17 AM
Hi DinosaurTales, I'm from across the border from Walla Walla, Washington, actually we live out in the country out of Milton Freewater, Oregon. Very small little town...

Yes, we go to Portland occasionally and I understand you are from there. Also KevinK is from Seattle. We get up that way occasionally too.

I teach mostly in schools and my students homes so I get to travel a bit on the days I teach.  

Offline erak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: November 12, 2003, 11:49:06 PM
Hi there:).

I'm Erik, 15 yrs old and this is my 7th year playing the piano. I used to hate until about a year ago, and now I'm sortof obsessed:D. So I searched around google and found this forum, now I have lots of people to talk with about the piano and I hope to learn a lot more about it this way.

Offline mimosa60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: November 28, 2003, 03:55:28 PM
Hello, I'm Anna from Rome, Italy. I started piano lessons 2 years ago at the age of...41. Another adult beginner..I don't know Alfred books but I think my level is "beginner", if compared to italian conservatory standards. I' m studying technique (scales, arpeggios, Hanon, Pisha),  pieces from Bartok's Mikrokosmos (voll. 1/2) and For Children, Clementi sonatina (op. 36 n.1), some pieces from Bach's "A.M. Book".
My favorite composers are: Bach, Beethoven and Bartok and, of course, I love my piano   :D

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: December 11, 2003, 10:19:36 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Bernhard, I am a piano teacher in the UK. I also play (and teach) the recorder. My age… I cannot remember it, it keeps changing every year!

I discovered this forum about three weeks ago, and have been slowly reading through the mountain of material available. Amazing! In fact I have just found this particular thread, so I am introducing myself.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: December 19, 2003, 01:52:23 AM
Hi there everyone
I am a newbie here
but a senior in another piano forum

I have learnt piano for 9 years.

Now i have just finished polishing Ballade 1

and starting working on La Campanella(50%) and Winterwind Etude (20%)
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline schnabels_grandson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: December 19, 2003, 12:40:38 PM
I guess I should introduce myself as well.  My name is Joseph,  I have been a student of piano for seven years.  I am currently teaching one student.  I call myself "the mediocre pianist."  Not because I'm really just so-so but because I like the sound of it for some reason.  
You don't have to eat garbage to know it's garbage.-Old Proverb
A good composer does not imitate; he steals.- Igor Stravinsky

Offline Jemmers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: December 19, 2003, 05:07:58 PM
Oh goody i didn't notice this thread.

Hey everyone I'm Jemmers! I've been playing the piano since 5 (although my parents say 4...) and I'm 17. Which makes it 12 years on the piano.

I would be pursuing my diploma, if not for the fact that I'm too caught up in a full time education in the ruddy country that is Singapore.

I love the piano to death. I'm currently working on the Fantaisie Impromptu and... deciding what else to work on.

Offline noodle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: December 30, 2003, 10:09:42 PM
Hi
 i just thought i'd introduce myself before posting anything.  beside being a pianist, i also teach beginning band and choir at the middle school level.  as busy as i am, i hope to come here often to see what's going on in the world of piano since i've been so out of the loop.

Offline L.K.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: January 04, 2004, 03:01:44 PM
Hm...I might introduce myself too. I'm not going to visit here too often because I post to another forum too.
I have learned piano for almost three years and I'm 16 now. I'm currently working on Mozart's Fantaisie in C (K. 475) and Chopins Etude 10-6 and some other easy pieces. I play piano just for fun, not for profession. So I really shouldn't be on this forum. ;D

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: January 04, 2004, 04:05:40 PM
I play piano just for fun, not for profession. So I really shouldn't be on this forum. ;D

All are welcome (although the christians are getting rather tedious ;)),
Ed

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: January 04, 2004, 08:18:20 PM
It's OK LK.  I am 47 and I just play *for fun* too!  

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: January 06, 2004, 02:48:18 AM
hrm. just found this thread. guess i wasn't looking closely enough.

I'm Mei-Ting, i'm 22, I play the piano, and I've had this problem for the past 19 years. I live in NYC, though it seems like I'm never here...

For all you people close to/in Washington State, I'll be playing in Walla Walla on March 5th and 8th of 2005 (NEXT year) :)

For more info about me, check out my site www.meiting.com
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline nad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: January 06, 2004, 11:30:43 PM
Hello everyone,
i just joined this forum a couple of days ago.
I'm from the Netherlands,.. haven't noticed any other people from NL but well..
I play the piano since my 9th birthday. Had lessons for 8 years. The last couple of years i was in a sort of project. Had two teachers then, and had that along with other 'talented' children.
I was supposed to go into the pre-year before actually going to conservatory but that didn't happen because of stupidity's that weren't in my control  :-[. Also there was no money for taking lessons anymore after that :-/. Since sept. 2003 i started again with lessons, and i'm 21 years old now. I'm also studying another bachelor-education.. Very busy combining all that.. Hope i can still do something with playing the piano after this education..
Hope to see that i'm not the only dutch one here?? :P

Esther_Yana

Reply #74 on: January 08, 2004, 06:57:54 PM
Well, I'm Yana.
Soon, no, tomorrow, becoming a pianist...
I live in the Netherlands, being a student. I study History of Art en Architecture at the uni.
Right now taking a break, so September this year I'll be starting my second year again....

Furthermore...tomorrow is my 21st birthday, just some other day passing by..

Well, ofcourse I love music, I just need it. Hobbys are writing and drawing/painting, reading...Well, before I get bored through my own writing ( yawn), I'll finish now.

Got some questions? Just ask ;)

Offline bitus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: January 12, 2004, 06:13:04 PM
Hi,
I just noticed this topic today... good idea ;]
I'm Titus... the Bitus. 21, from Romania. Before everything else, i'm a christian, and more than everybody, i'm proud of my faith.
I played piano since 7, had very tough teacher, though one of the best in Romania. My mom made me practice during my first 8 years, and I won all local competitions and many national prizes.
However, I decided (worst decision of my life) to quit classical piano in 8th grade and be just a regular piano-player in church and started to play jazz. I got a scholarship at a school in Tennesse, where i'm student right now (junior) studying piano and composition, and the love for piano hit me again :] So now i'm practicing like a mad man to gain back what i lost in high-school. Hopefully when i'll graduate i'll take one year off to practice all day and then try to get into a very good grad-school.
My biggest quest is to find how I can make myself smaller when I play the piano, and make God greater.
The Bitus.
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: January 12, 2004, 09:34:49 PM
My biggest quest is to find how I can make myself smaller when I play the piano, and make God greater.

That is so tragic,
Ed

Offline bitus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: January 13, 2004, 12:03:58 AM
Hehe, ed  ;D
At least I have a purpose... and one day we'll see what's tragic and what's not ;]
The Bitus
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: January 13, 2004, 01:25:26 AM
one day we'll see what's tragic and what's not

That we will,
Ed

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: January 13, 2004, 06:53:04 AM
I agree with Ed.

Anyway, I decided to introduce myself. I, unlike about 90% of the people here, only started playing about 1.5 years ago. I am 17, and I am actually kind of glad that I didn't start at 5 (I actually took lessons for a few months but hated them) because I am able to really appreciate music much more than many pianists I know who have played for a long time. I know many people who quit lessons because they were forced to take them as children.

Currently I am working on a lot of things including: Chopin's op.48 #1 Nocturne, His Revolutionary and Oceans etudes, third mvmnt of the Moonlight, Scriabin's etude op.8, #11, and Rachmaninov's op. 32 B minor prelude. I am also preparing to copmpete in a young artists competition.

Oh, yeah, my birthday is the 14th, so wish me a happy one ( ;D)

Chop

Offline deirpg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: January 13, 2004, 07:57:20 AM
Happy birthday, Chop!  I'm a day before you for birthdays!  I'm tomorrow!

Anyway, thought I should introduce myself too.  I am 29 and I have been playing for ages!  I teach a few students from my home - which I just love, and I'm still in lessons myself.  I am planning to take my grade 10 with the RCM, but I have a lot of gaps to fill.

I'm so thrilled that this forum is here!  I've already created a shortcut to my desktop - I plan to use this place A LOT!

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all!

Deirdre
:)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: January 13, 2004, 11:42:29 PM
Happy birthday to you both,
Ed

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: January 14, 2004, 02:52:34 AM
Happy birthday to you both,
Ed

*Thanks Uncle Ed!*  ;D
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

Offline krenske

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: January 17, 2004, 01:52:17 AM
Greetings all, from Australia...

well... (as William Kapell would say)
im 25, and a pianist and organist working in Brisbane, Australia. i have just resigned as organist at the cathedral here, to devote a little more time to piano, and opening a piano studio here. let's just say its nice to be one's own boss!

i studied organ in Paris, with Naji Hakim and Marie-Louise Langlais, and plan to dash off for another european stint in the near future. i have also organised concerts for other people [see my website].
Happy Pianoforumising
8)
"Horowitz died so Krenske could live."

Offline ilovemusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: January 21, 2004, 01:05:49 PM
I am Joost from Groningen, The Netherlands. I am 27 years old, and I currently do a Phd. in theoretical physics.  I've been playing the guitar for a couple of years, but could not quite express myself throught the instrument. So I started playing the piano this summer (for some it was the summer of love, for me the summer of the piano). Now I am hooked and practising pretty seriously. My favourite style is "romantic", I hate barok (I strongly believe this is played in hell).

My approach is trying to play insanely difficult pieces (for my level), and staying at it. My "projects" are: Liebestraume 3 (focussing on this one), La Campanella, Rigoletto (Liszt),  Elegie (rach), 10.1, 10.12, noct post. c#m (Chopin). I recently discovered the Patrarca sonets and I will focus on  sonet 104 when I more or less finish Liebestraume (may) .

Furthermore I  do a jazzzzzz workshop (guitar) and take singing lessons.

Joost.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: January 21, 2004, 07:38:45 PM
So I started playing the piano this summer (for some it was the summer of love, for me the summer of the piano).

My approach is trying to play insanely difficult pieces (for my level), and staying at it. My "projects" are: Liebestraume 3 (focussing on this one), La Campanella, Rigoletto (Liszt),  Elegie (rach), 10.1, 10.12, noct post. c#m (Chopin). I recently discovered the Patrarca sonets and I will focus on  sonet 104 when I more or less finish Liebestraume (may) .

That is ridiculous,
Ed

Offline Noah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: January 21, 2004, 09:23:42 PM

That is ridiculous,
Ed

Quite indeed rather indubitably! I don't think it's a good method...

for some it was the summer of love, for me the summer of the piano.

Ain't that sweet !  :D  
'Some musicians don't believe in God, but all believe in Bach'
M. Kagel

Offline ilovemusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: January 22, 2004, 12:31:19 PM
Why ? Almost through the work now: it is great boost of
technique etc. Simply IMPOSSIBLE to motivate myself to play "puff the magic dragon"- like tunes  on the piano, makes me sick. So I start by eating cake (should make you happy, Ed....)

Joost

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: January 22, 2004, 04:55:47 PM
So I start by eating cake (should make you happy, Ed....)

Eating cake does make me happy, yes. Nothing else you said does,
Ed

Offline liszmaninopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: January 23, 2004, 02:07:26 AM
It's funny, I just noticed this thread after quite some time on Piano Forum.  I suppose I will introduce myself as well, although many of you probably know something about me already.

I am 15 years old, and live in Maryland (I wish it was Colorado), USA.  I started playing the piano at 12, and so have been at it about 3 years. (actually, there was a summer when I didn't play, but I don't count that)  I'm really biting off more than I can chew right now, as always, trying to learn a concerto, 3 sonatas, a fugue, and some other works all at the same time.  I can't resist the temptation to try to play everything.  My  main goal this year is to polish my technique (my teacher tells me that while I have good technique, it needs honing.  Really, though, expression is the strong point in my playing)

Outside of piano, I enjoy hiking, camping, and just about anything outdoors related.  Recently, I have been working on building a website that I will turn into an internet business, so I can get some income before I get out of high school.  Also, I can be a voracious reader.  I especially enjoy reading about biology, meteorology, geology, physics, prehistoric wildlife, and also long classics like Don Quixote.  I won the school level in our National Geographic competition 3 years in a row, made it to the state level each time.  (speaking of which, if anybody here is an authority in the National Geographic Society, I have some suggestions that would be a major improvement in the way they currently run the bee)

Offline ilovemusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #90 on: January 23, 2004, 01:11:17 PM

Eating cake does make me happy, yes. Nothing else you said does,
Ed

You don't like jazz ?

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: January 24, 2004, 12:54:28 AM
I meant in that particular post,
Ed

Offline comme_le_vent

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: January 25, 2004, 05:16:07 AM
hi, id like to introduce myself, i am the greatest pianist in the history of the universe - bows - hears claps - thank you very much indeed!

Ed has anyone told you that your an insensetive fuckwad?
you belittle people for being religious - i myself dont believe in god, but i believe in the power of spirituality, and all the wonders it can bring into our lives.
at least i wont go to hell cos im not christian  ;D
https://www.chopinmusic.net/sdc/

Great artists aim for perfection, while knowing that perfection itself is impossible, it is the driving force for them to be the best they can be - MC Hammer

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: January 25, 2004, 10:55:38 AM
Holy Hell, Lisztman!!

Your'e 15!!!I thought you were at least a college student. You have a very open mind (especially for a 15 yr. old, no offense) and you are highly educated. I was imagining this 30 year old liberal, intellectual guy that goes to coffee shops all the time.

Sorry if that seemed weird, but it was just a wierd epiphany.

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: January 25, 2004, 02:44:55 PM
you belittle people for being religious

They belittle themselves, it's in the bible,
Ed

Offline liszmaninopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: January 25, 2004, 03:37:40 PM
Thank you, Chopiabin.  I never really thought I gave the impression of being 30 something.  I suppose it's good to know.  For the record; I haven't been in a coffee shop in at least a year or two (not counting the bookstores which nowadays take up otherwise good book space with their "plaza lattes" or whatever.
I am rather liberal, but not a very vehment one.
As for being educated-I am no more educated than anybody else in the tenth grade.  I do pay attention in class-and get straight A's because of it.  Actually, if most students really tried, they could drive their grades up considerably, alas, they'd rather read sports magazines than Hemingway.  Most of my knowledge about biology and evolution, which we debated a while back, comes from my own reading reading, as I go to a Christian school (would you believe it)?  I should add another of my favorite topics to read about-Africa.

minsmusic

Reply #96 on: February 05, 2004, 03:52:24 PM
G'day!
I'm a teacher from Australia who LOVES the piano.
I teach Piano , keyboard, and singing.  I have 27 students at the moment who come for individual lessons.  I also run group guitar courses throughout the year, group singing, and group theory.  It's heaps of FUN!

Hey Ed, what do you mean: 'they belittle themselves, it's in the BIBLE'  

Could you please quote the book, chapter and verse because I would like to look it up.  Beware of liable, lawsuits can be expensive.

By the way Ed, I was really enjoying reading everyone's posts until you insulted a person.  Was that really necessary?  You may not like Christians, but I don't like rudeness.  Treat others with respect.  Perhaps when you need help/advice from this site, you'll get the same in return.  Otherwise take advice from Thumper - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.  :-X

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: February 05, 2004, 09:34:17 PM
Hey Ed, what do you mean: 'they belittle themselves, it's in the BIBLE'  

Could you please quote the book, chapter and verse because I would like to look it up.  Beware of liable, lawsuits can be expensive.

1st Corinthians 15:3
MKJV:

For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures

By the way Ed, I was really enjoying reading everyone's posts until you insulted a person.  Was that really necessary?  You may not like Christians, but I don't like rudeness.  Treat others with respect.  Perhaps when you need help/advice from this site, you'll get the same in return.  Otherwise take advice from Thumper - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.  :-X

Sorry, I don't take advice from fictitious rabbits,
Ed

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #98 on: February 06, 2004, 02:30:24 AM

Oh dear... ::)

You should have a look at the religious debates on the Anything but Piano board.

You will then realise how polite Ed actually is.

But then on second thought, maybe you shouldn't (not a board for the easily shocked). ;)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline eddie92099

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: February 06, 2004, 10:40:42 PM
You should have a look at the religious debates on the Anything but Piano board.

You will then realise how polite Ed actually is.

"Politeness is just a matter of phrasing." L J Stafford

Ed
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert