Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Kawai vs K.Kawai vs Shigeru Kawai  (Read 23372 times)

Offline mitch24

• PS Silver Member
Kawai vs K.Kawai vs Shigeru Kawai
on: September 03, 2005, 10:34:00 PM
Can someone help differenciate these brands.  Like are they all the same or what?

Offline pianobil

• PS Silver Member
Re: Kawai vs K.Kawai vs Shigeru Kawai
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 06:05:33 PM
Dear Mitch,

I don't know the difference between K. Kawai and Kawai, if there is any, but the Shigeru Kawais are a truly high end piano.  I am a competitive pianist, and in a recent competition in Japan, I was offered the choice of performing on one of four pianos - a Yamaha, a Bosendorfer, a Steinway, and a Shigeru Kawai.  Though I went with the Steinway at the end, I was torn between the Steinway and the Shigeru, and found mysely quite surprised at the indecision.  My entire life until that choice, I had always found Steinway to be the only choice.  (I do suppose every now and then a Bosendorfer or Bechstein will fit a particular piece well, but there's just that great security on a Steinway.)

Anyway, abuot the Shigerus, I have not yet ween one outside of Japan.  However, upon Baldwin doing out of business, Earl Wild switched his sponsorship from Baldwin to Kawai, so if he plays a concert near you soon, you can probably bet that it will be on a Shigeru Kawai.  (What his personal problem was with Steinway, I do not know, but he has long avoided them.)

Hope that helps answer any questions...

Best,
Bill

Offline happyface94

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 07:50:00 PM
They're the same company, I guess they just change the names. Shigeru kawai are their high brand, I think they're all hand made. My conservatory in Canada is filled with those (6'5" or something) However, our concert grand consist of Yamaha and Steinways.

Offline zlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 03:33:26 AM
Yes, they are same company.

Kawai: Upright
K. Kawai: Grand
Shigeru Kawai: Special higher-end Grand

Some like to call Shigeru handcrafted; I personally find it a misnomer, since all pianos are to some degree crafted by hand. I guess it is the amount of personal attention the piano gets, as well as the different materials used. Was told the construction is different as well.

Using Toyota-Lexus analogy to compare Kawai-Shigeru shouldn't be too far off. Another way to think is the C vs. S Yamaha series comparison.

I bought a Shigeru SKII two months ago, and couldn't be happier. I particularly like the mellow, but very clean and ringing tone of the SK series. The responsiveness of the touch is amazing, and the dynamic range breathtaking. Of course the above view is owner-biased, but I am very pleased.

Shigeru is vastly superior to mainstream Kawai RX-series. I played a RX-7 (I think 7'7") and a SKII (5'10") side by side, and preferred the SKII a whole lot more.

Hope this helps.

LH

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:14:26 AM
The "K" in K. Kawai stands for "Koichi", the founder of the Kawai piano firm (and interestingly, Yamaha's accountant until the latter's death). Just for your information.

And as already discussed, Shigeru Kawais are superior and are excellent pianos.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:27 PM

Anyway, abuot the Shigerus, I have not yet ween one outside of Japan.  However, upon Baldwin doing out of business, Earl Wild switched his sponsorship from Baldwin to Kawai, so if he plays a concert near you soon, you can probably bet that it will be on a Shigeru Kawai.  (What his personal problem was with Steinway, I do not know, but he has long avoided them.)

John Chen won the Sydney International Piano Competition last year playing a Shigeru Kawai!!
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 09:32:10 AM
John Chen won the Sydney International Piano Competition last year playing a Shigeru Kawai!!

Playing the Rach 3, incidentally.  8)

Out of the six finalists, only two used Steinway.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:36:44 PM
Interesting on both counts.

Personally, I very much like the way Rachmaninoff's music sounds on big Kawais... most memorable was hearing the c# minor Prelude (Op.3, #2) played on a 7-foot Shigeru SK-6.

As for only 1/3 of the finalists in the Sydney International Competition having chosed Steinway, that's a rather odd statistics... perhaps there was something wrong with that particular Steinway at the competition? What else was available besides Steinway and Shigeru-Kawai?

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:49:07 AM
Interesting on both counts.

Personally, I very much like the way Rachmaninoff's music sounds on big Kawais... most memorable was hearing the c# minor Prelude (Op.3, #2) played on a 7-foot Shigeru SK-6.

As for only 1/3 of the finalists in the Sydney International Competition having chosed Steinway, that's a rather odd statistics... perhaps there was something wrong with that particular Steinway at the competition? What else was available besides Steinway and Shigeru-Kawai?

There were Yamaha, Bosendorfer, Shigeru-Kawai and Steinway.

The vast bulk of the competitors played on Steinways with several also using Yamahas.  Only 2 used a Kawai (to the best of my memory) and both of them made the final.  I am not sure that anyone used a bosendorfer but I was , apparently a very nice instrument!!!

As for wether anything was wrong with the Steinway at the competition, I have heard it was a little difficult to control and bass hard.  But 2nd and 3rd both played on it......

I think people come to the competition knowing which piano they are going to play, Im not sure they would switch 'brands'' like that although I could definately be wrong on this!!!!!!
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert