Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Improv - August 27, 2005 "Images of Latin America"  (Read 3797 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Improv - August 27, 2005 "Images of Latin America"
on: September 04, 2005, 06:45:23 AM
When I started this improv, the repeated notes gave a particularly Latin American feel so I went with that idea and developed it a bit. 

Improv - August 27, 2005 "Images of Latin America"
Mic: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C3

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improv - August 27, 2005 "Images of Latin America"
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:16:57 AM
A very evocative, beautifully recorded (make a note of the settings) piece with some interesting orchestral effects. I didn't receive an image of Latin America particularly, but definitely something nocturnal, distant and sinister; perhaps some  vaguely disturbing festivities viewed from a safe distance.

For some reason it reminded me of the Quiapo Fest of the Black Nazarene in Manila but this is probably because that is the only street festival I have been caught up in.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 12:43:33 AM
Thanks Ted.  It's interesting you mention the Quiapo Fest because I am Filipino, but only visited the Philippines once in my life. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 07:31:35 PM
I found this post via your link to it on youngcomposers! I hope I haven't overlooked it, I'll go and make sure its on the improvisations list. *edit* yep, its there!

I really enjoyed this improv. Very beautiful and haunting. Kind of reminds me of some of keith jarrett's stuff where he improvises with similar harmonies and tremolos. Have you checked him out yet?

I think it is cool how you keep bringing that tremolo figure back throughout the piece and surround it with different things.

1:36 - love the descending octaves there. awesome harmony changes
2:47 - that low chord there is amazing, I dunno if its how you're playing it softly underneath the sharper higher stuff but that was really neat
4:50 - awesome arpeggios and chords
5:00 - lots of glissandos. I should try using glissandos sometime
7:something - I like how you alternate that jumping figure with the tremolo figure you had in the beginning
9:something - more jarretty stuff...I like it
13:58 - I like the melancholy left hand melody here
14:50 - awesome climactic stuff, very dark
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert