Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bach - Partita No.2 Cm  (Read 9079 times)

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Bach - Partita No.2 Cm
on: September 18, 2005, 06:19:30 PM
This is a home recording I made a week or so ago. Comments are more than welcome, of course.

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach - Partita No.2 Cm
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 06:30:37 PM
Here are the Rondeau and Capriccio, which didn't fit because of the 4 attachment per post limit.

Offline didier_brest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 07:16:50 PM
Very nice!

Offline randmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 07:17:29 PM
I like it so far......I haven't gotten through them all yet, but I'm listening to one as I type.

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 03:52:04 AM
Thanks for the kind replys, guys. Maybe I'll upload some more when I have time. I got an upcoming solo recital, so it would probably do good for me.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 05:14:05 AM
This is headed in the right direction.  Keep at it.

Should you care for some suggestions:

Sinfonia: Are you familiar with the concept of double dotting in baroque music?  the 8th notes at the begining of the phrases in the grave can be much shorter, like a 32nd, same the 16th (play like 32nds).  You can do a real trill on the low a-flat  The following andante is faster and not as legato as my taste, but what you are doing is not incorrect.  Consider the syncopations written out rubato.  It will change your life.  The fuga should be the same tempo as the preceding andante, about the tempo you settle in in the second or third page.  I like to play this with lots of hemiola, but that may be an ideosincracy.

Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 05:33:56 AM
For the rest, would you be interested in considering the concept of notes inegales?  You can dot lots of internal rhythms, specially in the allemande, courante and sarabande.

whenever you have intervals of a half-step, you should consider playing legato, specially in groups of two notes (lost of that in the rondeau).

And as for the repeats, IMO you are playing about half of this piece.  In particular, you are missing the big moment when at the end of the second half (in the tonic) you jump back to the dominant to repeat the second half.  It is a great moment.

Finally, I feel that you are a little stingy with the ornamentation.  More little baroque twirly things to mark the good parts.  I would say as a rule of thumb, whenever you think a note or interval should have an accent, you can play a short trill or a turn.

And by all mean, roll the last chord.  In general you are to roll baroque chords, but particularly here, where you have an unification necessity with the chord at the begining.

How old? How long with this piece? I must confess, when I was 13 I did not play this as clean as you do.

If this sounds like a mystery to you, at some point get yourself these two books, which are a good place where to start:  badura-Skoda's book on Bach interpretation and Konrad Wolff's principles of interpretation (or something like that, it has been a while).

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 02:30:52 AM
iumonito,

Thanks a lot for your remarks. It does sound a bit new to me, as I live in some kind of "cultural isolation", and my teacher is somewhat conservative regarding baroque music. As you may know, the Russian pianistic school, until recently, was almost fully based on Schweitzer for its Bach playing. I'll order the books you mentioned as soon as I can. As for the repeats, you're right, but I think it would be too much Bach in my recital (I'm also playing the B-flat minor Prelude and Fugue from WTC I). As for my age, I'm 17, and I started the partita about a bit less than a year and a half ago, played it on a recital a year ago, and left it to "rest", because I had a concert with the Ukranian National Symphony Orchestra in summer. And now I'm getting ready for my solo recital and a concert with the National Orchestra of my country, and they are just 3 weeks apart.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 03:04:20 AM
Cool.  Great Ukranian pianists: Richter, Horowitz, right?

Stanislav Ioudenitch plays a very good Bach in terms of elements of Style.  Pogorelich (trained in Moscow) and Shtarkman as well.  I agree, though, with your descriptions.  I think of Gavrilov and Demidenko, and to certain extent Stanislav Bunin and totally see your Schweitzer connection.  I feel the major influence in your playing, though is Gould.  N'est pas?

If you can get them, the recordings of the English harpsichordist Trevor Pinnock are particularly enlightening and liberating.

Never enough Bach.

What concerto?

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 04:04:37 AM
I'll try to find those recordings you mention, if I can. I haven't heard Pogorelich with Bach, but I like his Scarlatti very much. As for Gould, you are probably right, although I've never really thought about it. And I think I should clear things up. I am Ukrainian, but I currently live in Costa Rica. When I went to Ukraine this summer, I kind of understood what can a cultural life of a city may be, as opposed to were I live. And when I said "the National Orchestra of my country", I meant the Costa Rican National Symphony Orchestra. As for the concerto, it's Rach 3.

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 04:21:33 AM
iumonito,

I searched for the books you mentioned. Didn't have trouble finding Badura-Skoda, but I do have trouble with Wolff. I find two books by him: "Schnabel’s Interpretation of Piano Music" and "Masters of the Keyboard". I think I'm missing something. Thanks

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 02:46:42 AM
Hey, que tal?

Yep.  I didn't recall that , but it is Masters of the Keyboard.  Here is the link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0253336902/qid=1127615967/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_10/104-6698566-3742343?v=glance&s=books

What cadenza, the long or the short?  If you care for comments on the concerto, feel free to post even without the accompaniment.  I don't play it, but I love it.

A subtle connection between rachmaninov and bach.  Both great emotional writers, great melodists, harmonists and polyphonists.  Masters of the keyboard (here you go, konrad) but never for the sake of shallow display.

Offline mig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 04:22:40 AM
Thanks,
De donde eres? :)
I'll be ordering the books as soon as I can.
About the cadenza, I play the short one, why?, when I was beginning to learn the concerto (4 years ago), I didn't give it much thought, and besides, I like the short one better.
About the Bach connection. When Van Cliburn came to Costa Rica, about a year ago,
in a private meeting between him, the Minister of Culture, and my teacher, Cliburn just jumped at the digital piano that was in the room, and started playing the theme form Rach 3, and said something like "This is no russian folklore, as people believe, it's Bach"
Just a thought.

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 12:44:55 AM
great interpretation. i think it should have a lighter touch

Offline 100003704

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 08:04:22 AM
re-Bach sinfonia partita in c - the fugue is very cleanly played, no pedal gives it this sharp sound which I like. Nicely independent RH & LH voice leading and very nice trills. Now it's time to ring up the piano tuner !

All the best,

Nicholas

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 08:12:25 AM
89 posts since 05.. I'm sure he'll answer.

Offline jagm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:24:49 PM
Hola, me encanto la partita, muy buen trabajo, creo que sos de Costa Rica no?? en donde estudias? yo he estado varias veces en Costa Rica y quisiera saber quien es tu maestro?, por otra parte, felicidades por tu interpretacion de la partita.

Offline philiphotchkiss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 07:49:58 PM
Nice consistency in your temp and phrasing. Enjoyed it!
Philip Hotchkiss<br />Amateur Pianist<br />Working on:<br />Chopin, Concerto 1, Second Movement<br />Mendelssohn, Songs Without Words
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert