Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Sonata in C K 545  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Chad

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Sonata in C K 545
on: August 12, 2003, 10:48:34 PM
I am new to the piano and I was looking on the internet for sheet music.  I came across Mozart's Sonata in C.  This is one of my favorite pieces of all time.  

I looked at the skill level and it said beginner/easy.  Is this really a piece a complete beginner should try to learn.  I would say it is at least intermediate.  I have seen much easier pieces on the internet that carry the same skill level rating and also pieces that are much easier that Sonata in C that are at least intermediate.

What would you guys rate Mozart's Sonata in C as? Would you rate it as beginner, intermediate, or hard?

Thanks  ;)

Offline RiskyP

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Sonata in C K 545
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 11:34:05 PM
Chad, I am a beginner myself (started 5 months ago) and I am giving this piece a second try after a teribbly difficult first time around. I am now making more progress, but it is still difficult for me. I also think that this piece is more intermediate than beginner.

I don't know how much technique you have aquired already, but I can tell you that just 2 months ago I struggled so much with this piece that I completely let it go until recently. It is definitely not for a beginner, that is, not for someone who has been playing for less than a year... I'm sure everyone will agree with that. Nonetheless, I will continue to try because I like the piece.

If you have been playing for even less time than I have, it's not worth trying it really. It sometimes makes me feel like I really suck at playing (probably do) when I am strugling so much with the "simple sonata" as it is nicknamed - not a pleasant feeling.

Offline Chad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 11:58:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I have been playing for about 4 months now.  I have learned to play some beginners versions of moonlight sonata and fur elise and also one by Chopin but I cant remember the name  :P

They were all arranged for beginners and I had enough trouble trying to learn them.  The Sonata in C sheet music I have is the real version not a beginners arrangement.  It is way to hard for me, I cant even get through the first 2 bars at full speed  :(

Offline RiskyP

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 01:06:48 AM
I can completely relate. Don't quit the piece, but it might be a good idea to continue it a bit later. Instead, I learned the real version of the first movement of the moonlight sonata and that was very fun, but very hard at my level. It took me about 3 weeks to get it satisfactoraly error free, but of course I am still trying to improve my interpretation.

I think this would be a good piece for you to consider if you would like to challenge yourself, but I think most of the people on this board would still recommend something easier. On the other hand, this piece teaches you chord voicing, how to play very softly with dynamic variations, octave positions in your left hand, use of the pedals, slow arpeggios. It also helped my ability to  read scores in C# minor, so I would say that it is a good learning piece if you are motivated enough, yet it is not as far fetched as a Mozart sonata... that is for me.

If you do decide to learn this piece, don't hesitate to PM me about any troubles you are having, perhaps I had the same troubles and I could tell you how I solved them.

Offline Chad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 01:29:32 AM
I would love to be able to play the real version of moonlight sonata but I only have a keyboard.  It is a casio ctk-671  and doesnt have the lower range that is needed for the song  :(

I wanted something affordable until I knew that this was something that I really wanted to pursue and would actually have the ability to do.

The keyboard isnt bad though.  It has a nice grand piano sound, I would like it to be deeper but I cant complain for 200 dollars.  It only has 61 keys so it really limits me on what I can play that I like due to the lack of lower end keys :(

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 06:17:07 PM
What do you mean by "new to the piano"? How long have you been playing, and what other pieces have you played.
There are no Mozart sonatas that are at a beginner's level, whatever any Web site says. The C maj. is the easiest, but it is still at an intermediate level. If you are getting too frustrated trying to learn it, try some Clementi sonatinas first, and then go back to the Mozart.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Chad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 06:28:16 PM
What do you mean by "new to the piano"? How long have you been playing, and what other pieces have you played.
There are no Mozart sonatas that are at a beginner's level, whatever any Web site says. The C maj. is the easiest, but it is still at an intermediate level. If you are getting too frustrated trying to learn it, try some Clementi sonatinas first, and then go back to the Mozart.

I have been playing for four months.  I can play beginners versions of Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata, and Chopin's Nocturne in Eb Op9 #2.  

Right now I am concentrating on learning Beethovens Sonata Pathetique 2nd movement.  This is also an arrangement.

With Fur Elise I can play through the original up until the part where it gets faster and starts involving a lot of chords. :(

Offline la_carrenio2003

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 09:14:48 PM
I'm a piano teacher and never saw that someone could play this sonata entirely in his first year, only after at least 3 years of study. There are many Mozart's pieces which you can play at your level, the ones he composed as a kid. After that, as Hmoll wrote, you have the Clementi's, Kuhlau's,Khachaturian's and Kabalevsky's sonatinas. There's a lot of pretty music outside for each level.I don't agree with playing those easy versions of the great works: trust me,you don't need them and if you really love piano music you can wait until you're ready for them. Don't bring the music to your level:try to elevate yourself to its level. It takes PATIENCE.
"Soli Deo Gloria".
     J.S. Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert