Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Tchaikovsky  (Read 14146 times)

Offline fuel925

• PS Silver Member
Tchaikovsky
on: December 04, 2005, 10:30:48 PM
Never played any Tchaikovsky, could someone recommend any of his solo piano pieces, around grades 4, 5 or 6 difficulty if possible :)
Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline burstroman

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:29:21 AM
The "Months" is a great suite. Not difficult. Each month is depicted admirably.

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 03:40:14 AM
In comparison to the other greats, Tchaikovsky is really lacking in the solo piano department, IMO.  ???

Offline _steinway_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 11:10:00 AM
Don't you mean "The Seasons" ? Yeh - they are great! The different months depict the different seasons and moods etc. They all have their each and own colour and style. I would recommend April, October and November :) But all 12 are really good!

Offline lisztisforkids

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:01:57 AM
What about his piano sonata? I have never heard it, but I saw the sheet music for it and it looks HUGE.
we make God in mans image

Offline basta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:01:03 PM
Hi,
If I would make my choice,that would be OCTOBER  (Seasons) and DANCE OF THE FLOWERS
from Suite Nutcracker.
Recently heard Dance played with 4 hands,that is amazing.
To add Sentimental Waltz  or Piano solo  from Swan Lake.

Offline frederic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 12:05:15 PM
No, the Sonata is a silly suggestion. I'm assuming you are talking about the G major. I would not agree that Tchaikovsky is lacking in piano solo repertoire. They expand to four volumes. You can't really call that lacking can you?
"The Seasons" or "The Months" is a good suggestion but not all of the pieces are equally good. I would reccomend August, October and November. June if you want something a little bit more familiar. Another one of my favourites is his Romance in F minor.
"The concert is me" - Franz Liszt

Offline pianalex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 01:29:31 PM
'dumka' is quite good, and nicely laid out for the hands somehow..

Offline piano113

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no 1
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:37 PM
Hi,

I need to get the piano notes of Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no 1 but the file won't open

HELP PLEASE!!!

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 05:37:39 AM
What about his piano sonata? I have never heard it, but I saw the sheet music for it and it looks HUGE.

Sonata-s. There were three last I counted! :P
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 05:49:25 AM
Sonata-s. There were three last I counted! :P

What am I missing? I know the grand G major and the C-sharp minor, both of which I love. What is the third?
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:23:00 AM
If you are referring to the "Grand Sonata", op.37, I find it rather perfunctory and nationalistic, particularly with the first movement, which is full of impetuous chords "on the march". After that there are some nice sections that divert away from the 1st movement; the 2nd movement is, at times sole-full with hints of the 1st Piano Concerto. The 3rd movement is more of a scherzo than the score suggests, basically a quick moderato.  The short finale is, to me, the most interesting, and requires the most virtuosic skills. Again it incorporates pianistic technique on the level of the 1st Concerto. Overall though, I've never found this sonata to be all that attractive, either for the pianist pondering the learning of it, or the general appreciation of an imaginary audience.

While Tchaikovsky did write some decent solo piano works, it appears to me that the shorter works, as in "The Seasons" (mentioned by others here), tend to be more rewarding on all grounds. Personally I believe he was destined to compose orchestral music with wonderful imagination, and much of the non-orchestral works tend to struggle on their own, for better or worse.

My parents were Classical Romantics, and that's the sort of music I inherited as a child, and while I've embraced far distant "musics" over the years, I continue to appreciate much of Tchaikovsky works. Many people consider it inferior, along with his "successor" Rachmaninoff, but regardless of one's own preferences, just consider the "popular impact" these late 19th - early 20th century composers have had on maintaining a public interest in Classical Music in general. Without a "ground base" of devotes of the most popular classical works, intertwined with "new" (lesser known, yet well deserving of public performance) works, the strength of the platform that much of Classical Music stands on could crumble, and that would be a shameful disaster I hope never to see.

Lontano
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:34 PM
opus number??
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:14:01 AM
opus number??
It's "The Seasons", and it is easy enough to find the opus number with a little tool called Google. It's op. 37a.

Find it here: https://imslp.org/wiki/The_Seasons,_Op.37a_%28Tchaikovsky,_Pyotr_Ilyich%29
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline reginald

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 12:10:30 PM
i just "finished" studying the romance in f . once i mastered the techniques in the fast part, this piece
gave me the feeling it should and can be performed in many totally different ways. this piece is real big fun to play and everyone seems to like listening to it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert