Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Appassionata  (Read 1874 times)

Offline beanman

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Appassionata
on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:48 PM
I want to learn this piece because i am injuring myself playing ridiculously hard pieces for my experience. is it likely to cause any injuries? i am talking about injuries from difficult stretches in chords and striking the keyboard hard in awkward positions. (not speed in scalic passages)

also , what is bad technique and what is good technique?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Appassionata
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:03:53 AM
Bad technique hurts

Good technque don't

For a man who can play vers la flemme, this is a piece of cake.

You will learn it in 1 day.
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline stevie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 02:20:42 AM
For a man who can play vers la flemme, this is a piece of cake.

You will learn it in 1 day.

Offline airasia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 06:02:09 AM
If you're ready for the piece there should be no injuries.  I recently started learning the 3rd movement and it's less physically stressful so far for me than learning pathetique 1st movement, probably because I wasn't as technically ready for nonstop octaves when i started the pathetique.  Now the left hand tremolos in the 3rd movement of the Appassionata are no problem, when if i had tried playing it a little while ago it would've felt very strenuous and extremely difficult.

Also another thing, I've been reading a bunch of posts recently and have come across some people talking about playing this piece, but the way they describe it's difficulty, it's hard for me to believe that they've actually played the piece.  So many point out the descending arpeggios in the end as being a very difficult part of the piece, but so far I've found that one of the easiest.  It took me less than a day's practice to learn that, while I've been practicing several other parts for days and still have trouble with them.  I guess my point is don't listen to people on some message board, i guess not even me, but you'll see what i mean, if you're ready for this piece the descending arpeggios should be nothing compared to other much more treacherous sections.

Offline letters

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:16:32 PM
ive had a go at the first and 3rd movements and i find the 3rd harder, probably because the only people ive heard play it are richard meyrick and glenn gould both of whom play it like the clappers. bits of it are fine though. the 1st movement i really like, i haven't learnt those arpeggios yet but the rest of it seems fine, the bit where the left hand is in groups of 5s is a bit tricky to sort out! and it doesnt have to go too fast at all.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:20:48 PM
Bad technique hurts

Good technque don't

Thats true, infact you can learn a lot from injuring yourself.

Anyway never feel sorry for yourself beanman, think what Beethoven had to go through, also think what Rach went through he sufferd a lot of pain in his hands and head.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert