Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy Arabesque 1  (Read 12463 times)

Offline marina

Debussy Arabesque 1
on: June 20, 2002, 05:32:44 AM
Comments on memorising really struck home with me.  I found it essential to become totally at home with every aspect of the E major chord for this piece.   The 2 against 3 passages I found just had to be memorised in order to "switch" the brain from right to left while playing.  And I still haven't got it exactly right....any tips on the old 2 against 3 problem?   I find it particularly hard when in the last passage the 2's are in the right hand.    As far as memorising -analysis of bars 34/5/6 and working out the quite straightforward pattern threw everything into focus.   YES -focus, focus, focus, analyse - then - just play......Marina

Offline Diabolos

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy Arabesque 1
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2002, 08:41:17 PM
Hi there.

Well, first I want to give you some advice: Don't analyze this piece too much, or, to be more precise, don't get too far into detail. Certainly you could fined stilistic elemts such as circulatios etc., but it won't help with memorizing; just understand the basic outer form and add an interpretation. You'll be fine.

The 2 against 3 problem is quite old, and it's really only learning that rhythm. You should try to clap it, to get it into your head. However, just remember that the first 3 and the first 2 go together, then comes the second 3, then the second 2 and finally the third three.

I'm sorry about my really bad description, but I've forgotten way too many vocabularies.

Nevertheless, have fun playing. 8)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert