Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Nocturne In C# Minor  (Read 1666 times)

Offline justliam

Nocturne In C# Minor
on: April 13, 2006, 07:22:26 PM
Any thoughts welcome, although this is a fairly early recording when I was learning, so it's smoothed out etc, but comments on the shape and tone in general appreciated.  Bear in mind though, it was played on a turd casio keyboard :(
\\\\\\\"That\\\\\\\'s not a gadget Michael, that\\\\\\\'s just monstrous use of a Biro.\\\\\\\"

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nocturne In C# Minor
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 03:11:51 PM
These are my opinions:

It sounded good overall. The melody was brought out. However, your dynamics need work. It must be very smooth. Just watch the dynamics and take not of when things get softer and louder. I didn't really notice a change in dynamics. You missed the con forza in measure 16. I noticed that in some of your trills, you get slightly louder. In measure 42, you play the low note, and end up on the G# in measure 43. You have to get slower and very soft. The G# is supposed to be ppp. From measures 58 to the end, you have to fade out. You start and p, then pp, then finally ppp in the last measure. The melody was good though, and so were the runs. Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.  :)

Hope this helps.
"When I look around me, I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion and I must despize the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation beyond all wisdom and philosophy."

Offline justliam

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 10:59:12 PM
Theres been 13 downloads so I'm giving it a bump incase anyones actually bothered to comment lol
\\\\\\\"That\\\\\\\'s not a gadget Michael, that\\\\\\\'s just monstrous use of a Biro.\\\\\\\"

Offline contrapunctus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 03:14:43 AM
I have never heard this before; it is most definately not in my nocturne book (ed. Paderewski). Can someone give me some infromation about this piece.
Medtner, man.

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 03:46:31 AM
It was published after Chopin died. It was written around 1830. if you go to sheetmusic archives, I think you'll find it. There are many versions of it. I know of four different ones.
"When I look around me, I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion and I must despize the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation beyond all wisdom and philosophy."

Offline term

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 09:01:02 AM
There are many versions of it. I know of four different ones.
true, i was very confused when i heard other people play different versions with different trills and harmonies ;D
which one is the "real" version, does anybody know?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
"The only truth lies in learning to free ourselves from insane passion for the truth" - Eco

Offline roflman05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 09:06:59 AM
I argee with chopinfan_22.

Its good overall.

I would bring out a little more from the melody from the beginning chords (the top note) Its doesnt sound bad though. Also in bars 23-24 and 27-28 I would do the same (the sixths)

The scales need some work but you got the idea right.

Then its like chopinfan_22 said , about the trills and the "con forza" parts.

I know its hard to play on a keyboard  :)

Its hard to explain on the internet , try to get a friend who plays to give comments.

true, i was very confused when i heard other people play different versions with different trills and harmonies ;D
which one is the "real" version, does anybody know?

I think unless you've actually heard Chopin himself play it you cant decide which one is real or not. Perhaps Chopin himself played it differently from time to time.

Its your piece when you play it, so I would stick to the score and only add my own touch to it :)

Good luck!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert