Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: 5 Improv's - May 31, 2006  (Read 3998 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
5 Improv's - May 31, 2006
on: June 01, 2006, 12:32:16 AM
A set I recorded today.

1) has some Boulez / Stockhausen / Finnissy influences

2) Rhythmic insanity

3) Study in quartal harmony.  That is chords based on stacked 4ths.

4) quasi romanticized in quasi D minor.  Kind of Tragic

5) Molto Ritmico.  Maybe some Prokofiev invluences.  This is my favourite of the set. 

Mics: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: C3

Enjoy!
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: 5 Improv's - May 31, 2006
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:36:30 AM
2)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 12:39:11 AM
3)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:47:36 AM
4)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:50:42 AM
5)

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 05:40:30 AM
First off, I’d like to say you’re definitely the best improviser here and I always like to listen to what you come up with.

1.  I don’t really see a resemblance in this to Boulez or Stockhausen, though some of the densest sections in it (1:38-1:47, 5:06-5:18, 6:04-6:10) definitely sounds like early Finnissy.  They remind me of the clouds from English Country Tunes, particularly “Midsummer Morn”.  Sounds sorta like smashing on random keys though; not your most inventive stuff.

2.  This reminds me a lot of Xenakis’ Evryali: sort of like Evryali’s little brother.  The Gestalt Periods, broken progressions and dense chords are very Xenakis-esque.  I like the use of color in this, but I didn’t really feel like it developed.  Sort of like once you’ve heard the first minute you’ve heard it all.

3.  Meh.  Way to strict with dynamics and rhythm.  Least favorite of the set.

4.  I really liked four.  I thought it was definitely the best of the set.  I would randomly learn this if it was a piece =P  At first it sounded almost exactly like a piece by Finnissy called Folklore (start-0:45).  Did I hear scales from the Mozart-Liszt Reminiscences de Don Juan (4:53-5:03)?  Sounds like some of the Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 3 made it into there as well (2:45-3:10)?  And the Glass Violin Concerto (3:10-3:22)?  Ondine (3:30-3:33)?  Also I think I caught some Castlevania in there at various parts XD
As a whole it reminds me a LOT of late Sorabji.  Anyways, this was really incredible.

5.  Second favorite.  Very driving and didn’t get dull.  Some of the chord progressions were very original; I don’t think I’ve ever heard them anywhere else.

Offline ole

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 07:57:25 PM
wow those were intense my favorite was definitely four because it had the most things my ear could grab onto. I need some sort of motivic material, some sort of repetition or my brain can't quite digest it. I think you should do more like no 4. the first ones seem too pantonal..too all over the place as it were. thats just my opinion tho  keep it up

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:00:23 AM
u've got a feel for touch.  and how to play post modern music.  i was especially taken by the long pause - which sounded perfectly normal.  it does sound like clouds.  how do u keep from getting anxious over this music.  if iwere to play something like this - after the first few bars - i would say 'forget this.'  but, with u --it seems there is some definate purpose in ur intent - although it might be just subconcious random thoughts.  u express it well though.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 04:03:00 AM
the second improv reminds me of a train or something - coming closer, passing, then leading away.  u certainly get intense in ur music. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert