Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What piano do you play on?  (Read 10461 times)

Offline ihatepop

• PS Silver Member
Re: What piano do you play on?
Reply #50 on: July 22, 2006, 05:24:37 AM
Schimmel ;D

Offline lindas333

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: July 22, 2006, 05:45:04 AM
Yamaha P 60 S ... I love it  8)

Offline discturtle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 06:08:25 AM
When I'm at home, a crappy Kohler & Campbell 6'6" grand. Noisy movement, notes always turn sharp soon after tuning. Ugh.

When I'm at school, either the Bosendorfer 200 or the massive Steinway something. Most lush sound ever.

Offline wishful thinker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 07:46:48 AM
I've got a Kawai upright - not sure the model, but its big and black - probable equivalent of the Yamaha U1, and a John Brinsmead & Sons 7 foot grand.  Both very different, but the grand wins it really; she's 102 now, and I had the action overhauled about 2 years ago.  Would love to have her re-strung, but having trouble finding someone to do it for less than the cost of a new car!
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Offline discturtle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: August 12, 2006, 11:47:30 PM
I played on a Bosendorfer 200 today. It was like heaven. Even with the una corda, the sound is sooooo rich, and the movement doesn't have the slightest bit "harpsichord syndrome." (For non harpsichord ppl, harpsichord syndrome = a clunk partway thru movement where hammer strikes = bad.) And it was a great deal, only $75,000! :)

Offline penguinlover

Reply #55 on: August 13, 2006, 01:32:32 AM
Mostly I play on a Young Chang baby grand.  It sounds great, and has a wonderful touch, but currently it needs to be tuned badly.  The lower register holds the tune, but the upper is awful.  At church I play an upright Wurlitzer.  It holds a tune much better than my Young Chang, but has a lousy touch.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: August 13, 2006, 04:20:07 AM
A 15 years old Yamaha U1.
Obviously I'd love a grand, but I'm very satisfied of the U1 though, not that it sounds great but it let's me extrapolate the sound I would produce on a good piano.
Anyway I'll probably go for a crappy grand in some time, hesitating between a used C3 or a new Ritmuller. That's all I can hope with my budget.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline joca_hdj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: August 13, 2006, 09:49:40 AM
i bough new petrof piano 5 years ago,but i guess it`s time to change it.
that i had yamaha p-80 3electronic piano,which is also great,but i destroyed it.
Now,i go to my academy every day and practise there.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: August 13, 2006, 09:51:48 AM
Yamaha U3 and I love it to bits, except for the deceptively light action.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline theswede

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: September 12, 2006, 07:18:50 PM
Kawai KG-2C

Where was this poor instrument buried ?

:)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: September 12, 2006, 07:56:07 PM
  Kawai.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline loops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: September 13, 2006, 08:12:38 AM

an elderly (1910-1920) grotian steinweg baby grand. I just got the action reconditioned and regulated.
The piano restorer who did it raved about the engineering of the action....I was very happy he was happy about it, I can tell you...it needed someone who really wanted to do it.
Now it's a dream to play.

It has a *really* resonant sound, wide dynamic range.

Offline brahms4me

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: September 13, 2006, 04:45:22 PM
I am fortunate to have a 9' 2" Bluthner.
Be a thief and take the listener's breath away.

Offline penguinlover

Reply #63 on: September 13, 2006, 09:44:47 PM
It's hard not to be jealous when I read these.

Offline sara vujadinovic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: September 13, 2006, 09:45:21 PM
Mine is a wreck. I'll post a pic in a bit. But I bet I have the worst piano on this forum, hands down!

SJ

No,I think that mine is the worst! :(
It's a Galisia (Polish),and it's very old...
The pedal is broken,the sound is...  :-\
but,it was good,in past century. ;)
so,I must allmost every day to practice in school or academy...
I would like so much to have a normal piano! :'(
Sara

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: September 14, 2006, 06:00:06 PM
Kawai KG-3C
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline netzow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: September 17, 2006, 01:18:55 AM
A turn of the century upright grand with a name plate that cannot be read, a high B flat that sticks, a chipped key that was bought for $150 5 years ago. It does have Ivory keys though.

An update on this It noew has two keys chipped the B flat no longor sticks and It's in tune. Also I now play A Yamaha C7 at my teachers, the second best piano I have ever played. (The best was a turn of the century Steinway amazing tone )
  :D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: September 17, 2006, 04:54:37 AM
1987 Yamaha C7, mint condition -- The absolute LOVE of my life; he's incredibly sexy  :).  I have had him for 5 days.  I just finished dusting him with a special fabric, put his felt blanket over his 88s, and I even locked him for the night with his uber cool key (which will be kept under my pillow while I sleep).  I can't wait to get him his very own cover so I can tuck him in at night... and maybe some booties for his pedals.  I want to sleep under him but I haven't yet.

His name :  Fryderyk Maurice Fox   ;D 

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: September 17, 2006, 09:34:16 AM
1987 Yamaha C7, mint condition -- The absolute LOVE of my life; he's incredibly sexy  :).  I have had him for 5 days.  I just finished dusting him with a special fabric, put his felt blanket over his 88s, and I even locked him for the night with his uber cool key (which will be kept under my pillow while I sleep).  I can't wait to get him his very own cover so I can tuck him in at night... and maybe some booties for his pedals.  I want to sleep under him but I haven't yet.

Its a piano, not a baby.

Are you really going to put booties on its pedals?.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: September 17, 2006, 09:38:56 AM
wouldn't it be cute to see a piano following a person around, too. m1469goes to sleep and the piano sort of rolls over to the door and occasionally cries at night.  good thing pianos don't mess themselves. 

so that is why you were gone so long, mayla.  you are very lucky to have a new piano!  congratulations! 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: September 17, 2006, 09:52:02 AM

Wow that sounds very sensual. tend to envy your piano lol.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: September 17, 2006, 10:31:09 AM
Wow that sounds very sensual. tend to envy your piano lol.

Perv, she is young enough to be your daughter ;D

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline jimroof

Reply #72 on: December 30, 2015, 01:46:30 AM
Yamaha U1D, circa 1975 when the wife is out of the house when I can take the opus du jour to the woodshed.  In my office I have a Korg SP-250 that is really not bad for getting the notes in the fingers.  In fact, it's a little harder action than my Yamaha and probably gets my fingers more work than the 'real' piano.

This Spring I plan on having some serious work done to the action on my Yamaha.  A bunch of these little straps have broken and the hammers are in dire need of being shaped.  I have put about 35 years of playing on this thing and the grooves in the hammers are just insane.
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline briansaddleback

Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:22 PM
At home a Casio privia px860
It ok.

At school there's a couple of Boston uprights that are unbelievably well maintained and able to express your nuances on there. Also a c grand Yamaha for performance in front of class.
Work in progress:

Rondo Alla Turca

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: December 31, 2015, 08:17:03 PM
Home 1982 Sohmer 39 console.  I bought it new after trying out  Steinway and Everett 44 studios.  Better bass than both, lighter touch than the Steinway.  Great sounds, even touch throughout, dampers up to G6.  Pratt & Reed action, fast enough for me.  
I bought a 1941 Steinway 40 console in 2011, tuned it seven times, enjoyed it a couple of years but broke a hammer shaft last spring.  I wasn't even playing a loud passage.  It sounded the same as the Sohmer but stays in tune longer with its solid pin block.  It needs a bass sustain middle pedal like the sohmer.  Dampers only up to E6.  I'm trying to work up the nerve to replace the hammer this winter.  They still make them for that the Steve's catalog says.  After trying to get the Steinway affiliate tuner to stabilize the worst loose pin in the Sohmer and receiving a useless damp chaser installation, I don't trust anybody in this town to do anything but tune.  
At the charity dinner on Saturdays, At St Luke UCC Jeff fellowship hall, a Baldwin Acrosonic 40 with plastic keys.  Probably post 1960.  Beautiful bright tone, louder than either of my pianos.  In tune with itself.  One sticky key Eb4.  After I fix my Steinway successfully, maybe I'll talk them into letting me ease it.
At Otisco UMC sanctuary near my summer camp on warm Sundays, a Baldwin Hamilton studio 44 from the sixties.  Okay tone, loud enough, fast enough for hymns.  Was badly out of tune with itself when I visited there, i've tuned it 3 times so far.  I broke a D7 string last pass, but you never use that one on hymns. I tried to replace it, I had a roll of wire bought for the Sohmer,  but it got dark on me and I had to quit. I will carry out a 12" bent tip needle nose pliers next year to run the wire through the pins without taking the action out.  I bicycle out there; it is a 270 minute trip one way from my maintenance base i town but 20 minutes from my country property.  Back to town is Not a trip I do twice in one day.  
At St Paul Episc church jeff fellowship hall, at charity dinners,  a Wurlitzer 40 console.  Probably seventies vintage.  Horribly out of tune when I started volunteering there, I tuned it to the Allen organ last pass. Tuning has lasted 4 months so far.  Tone is okay, speed is okay, neither is as good as the Steinway or Sohmer.  
At Park Place UMC this Christmas cantata season, a Willis 84"? grand. Nice light touch for a grand.  We convinced the sound guys to take the mike out, turn off the cheap speakers, and put the lid up, for the Christmas cantata. That gave much better sound than those stupid speakers, with 5" woofers I imagine. I didn't try the speed, the cantata wasn't that fast and I had a hard time learning it in two weeks.  I was an understudy, the regular piano lady played the cantata, but there were a lot of colds and stomach problems around, so she wanted me to take a try at it in case she got it.  An multiyear veteran tenor said the previous piano player was so loud, they closed the top, pointed it at the back wall, and put a mike in the piano to put the volume under control of the sound guys at the board.  I'm not as strong as that lady, it was obvious to me.  
At my one piano lesson two years ago, a Yamaha 44 studio with disk player action.  No bass sustain on the middle pedal, just a stupid cloth damper of all strings.  Tone was ho-hum, but I heard about the beautiful blue eyes of the salesman in Georgetown.  Bleah.  
At the church I'm a member of in town, since 2005 a Yamaha studio piano.  I won't touch it or sing with it.  that salesman has beautiful blue eyes, but all the people not building things in factories these days line up at the charity dinners and live in cardboard boxes under the overpass.  The kawai 44 it replaced was okay, decent sound and loud enough, but it wasn't "new".  the sixties Baldwin Hamilton 44 in the fellowship hall was fine with me, I tuned it this summer to play at monthly dinners, but the deacons gave it away last month.  They need to make more room for eaters in the fellowship hall, no music is necessary. The hall has a Yamaha PA system with a CD and MP3 players.  Great guys, lets all sing seven repetitions of an eleven word chorus newly released by Word Pub,  instead of some hymn  of tested beauty written by Wesley, Handel or Crosby.  
I get around these days.  Good hymn choices are made out at Otisco, but all those people are fifty up.    

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: January 01, 2016, 02:41:39 AM
A well loved -- and well played -- unrestored but meticulously cared for 1898 Steinway Model A grand.
Ian

Offline dratinistar

Reply #76 on: January 08, 2016, 02:49:17 AM
Steinway B
Beethoven:
Sonata no16
Concerto no 3
Schubert Impromptu op142 no1
Chopin:
Nocturne in D flat
Etude op25 no6
Sonata no3
Liszt Wild Jagd
Helps Homage à Faure
RachmaninoffConcerto 2
Mendelssoh

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:24 AM
Bosendorfer 130CL

Offline tenk

Reply #78 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:38 PM
Restored 1913 Steinway Model O

Offline bosendorfer1989

Reply #79 on: January 09, 2016, 01:25:56 AM
I have a Bosendorfer model 225. I also have a 1904 King upright and a Yamaha MOX8
At my mothers house (across the street) I have the piano I started on. Its a 1974 1st edition Kimball Viennese 6'7" grand.
 I play at nursing homes on weekly visits so there's 3 different consoles.

Offline siveron

Reply #80 on: January 11, 2016, 05:29:19 AM
Steinway or Yamaha is the way to go!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert