Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Concertos IV vs V  (Read 5254 times)

Offline chopianist123

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Concertos IV vs V
on: August 25, 2006, 05:17:25 AM
Beethoven - Piano Concerto IV and V

Which one do u prefer more, and which one is technically more difficult to play?

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Concertos IV vs V
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 04:50:03 PM
I prefer the IV (it is my favorite LvB piano concerto)

I have not the slightest idea of which is more difficult. Being at Clementi sonatinas level (i began playing less than 2 years ago), those works belong to another world for me... :P

Offline apion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 07:44:52 PM
Beethoven's 4th PC is one of the greatest concertos ever penned.  The motivically integrated yet lyrical beauty of the 1st movement has no equal in the repertoire.  A perfect gem.  5 is very great, but not quite as great as 4.

They are equally difficult.

Offline beethoven2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:33:01 AM
personally, i like five, and i don't know which one is harder. sorry.
~__ />
 /\ /\        The Horsey ROCKS!! 

(curtosy of rach n bach)

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 01:32:06 AM
Love both, prefer No. 5, No. 4 is harder.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 12:06:11 PM
Hi,

No 4 is my favorite PC in all concerto literature!  I'm currently working on it for a performance in April.  (I also played twice before, years ago.) 

Whether you like 4 or 5 better is a matter of personal preference--No 4 is more introspective while 5 is full of bravado, so their overall appeal is different. 

I think both are quite difficult, and possibly 4 slightly more so.  It requires a great deal of control in the 1st movement, with rapid, yet extremely light and even passagework.  There are a lot of leaps in 1st and 3rd movements.  Most challenging, the interpretation--I have found that too much concentration on detail for too long results in a loss of forward flow of the music.  The sheer beauty of the lyricism is stunning, but takes a lot of effort to produce the "effortless" quality!  My goal is to have this quality without revealing to the audience that I have put literally hours into just the FIRST line. 

Teresa

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert