Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor, posthumous Tips on playing  (Read 3006 times)

Offline eyeballnick

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor, posthumous Tips on playing
on: September 03, 2006, 05:01:37 PM
Subject says all....:) ty

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor, posthumous Tips on playing
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 06:23:35 PM
Any particular part?

Be sure to speed up in the 3/4 mazurka-like section, or else it just drags.

Work on the scales at the end carefullly, especiallythe 35:4 one.

And this is a good idea I found out by accident:

Listen to Chopin's Piano Concerto No.2 in F minor. This nocturne was kind of like a melting pot for the ideas he eventually used in the concerto. The mazurka section in the nocturne becomes the dance in the middle of the 3rd mvt., the Adagio arpeggio is the last measure in the 2nd mvt., and if you listen closely, there's a lot of other direct parallels.

Listen to how the pianist plays those sections, and it should give you some ideas on how to interpret them in the nocturne.

Phil

Offline pianohenry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:30:44 PM
yep would say the same thing - the most difficult bit is the long scales at the end.

also there are some long trills in the right hand that go on for (i think the longest is 2 bars) - make sure they dont sound bad and that you can sustain them evenly and very very very lightly for that long, while keeping the left hand even but not too slow cos otherwise that drags on too :P

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 02:34:42 AM
Since this piece is very far away in my memory , lol, the only thing I can suggest now is that for Performance, do not fear to hit the keys too loud(for the melody principaly). It better be a bit louder than it should be than a missed, colourless and poor sound. Remember you should allways use all the weight you can on the keys, simply reducing the attack speed to get that nice lyrical "p" sound. Of course it isn't that simple, but it is a good thing to remember :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert