Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor  (Read 5443 times)

Offline elisianna

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor
on: September 13, 2006, 01:25:43 PM
  Ever since I first heard that piece, it's been a goal of mine to learn it, not only to learn it, but to actually play it very well. (I know some people say "Oh I learned 'such and such'" but they really kinda suck at it =P).

I've been playing for 3 years now and I just finished my Grade 8 (RCM).  I was planning on only doing grade 9, but since I need grade 10 pieces for University auditions my teacher decided to let me do both grades at the same time. (I think 9 and 10 are like the 7 and 8 most of you go by XD)

He gave me some pieces to work on from both grades, one of them is Rachmaninov's Op. 3 "Melody". (You can imagine how excited I was to finally play something by my favourite composer =) )

Now to my point.  I really really love the Prelude in C# Minor.  I know it isn't really one of his most difficult pieces by far, so my lifelong goal of owning it shouldn't be TOO far off.  I'm just curious HOW far off it could possibly be, how much more difficult is it than "Melody" (same opus! I get shivers!! Hohoho just kidding XD).  Also what grade is it in, and what pieces would be good to learn leading up to it.  I know in the sheet music section of this website it says it's grade 8 (my grade 10 I guess...) but I can't believe that for some reason XD. (I can't be close to my goal? XD)

Thanks in advance.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:03:55 PM
Actually, my best friend learned this piece when he was around the level you are already at.  :)

Phil

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:32:51 PM
I don't think you need to know anything about the difficulty of this piece. And to be fair, none of us know how well you play, or what technical abilities you find hard and which you find easy. Therefore, it is all down to you to gauge how easy/hard it is for you, and the only way to do that is to learn it!

So get right to it!
Henrah
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline elisianna

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:36:10 PM
Thanks guys XD

Offline phdezra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 01:47:08 AM
For what it's worth... I am a relative beginner (not quite near your grade), but I also have a "must know" piece.

My "must know" piece is Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 in C# minor. (And not because it is popular in cartoons!) My family descends from Hungary *and* I happen to love the piece. Anyway, while I continue my "regular' studies with my piano teacher and practice what is assigned (everything from boring tunes to scales), I also spend a few minutes each day on *one* measure of my fav piece.

Point is, I don't see the harm here. I'm learning what I am supposed to be learning (supplemented with tidbits from this forum and other places), and along the way I am learning, slowly but surely, No. 2 in C# minor. (It truly is a beast, but oh so much fun to learn!)

SO, go for Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# minor!

Offline elisianna

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:20 AM
Thanks for the encouragement =).  Good luck on learning your piece =3 It's good that you love it enough to just plug away little by little.  It must be nice to see things starting to fall together =).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert