Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: raindrop prelude  (Read 3107 times)

Offline maestoso

• PS Silver Member
raindrop prelude
on: October 26, 2006, 09:18:57 PM
just have a little problem understanding the 3rd bar with the long quads. do you play the left hand fingering 1,1, with the thumb of the left hand? or one with the left and one with the right. do the writers of the music write like this to show you that you play notes in the treble and notes in the bass keeping with the left hand. sorry if this is an ambiguous question. these note structures  are a little confusing, common sense should tell me since they are in the bass clef but i just want to check. if i knew how to post the music i would show you what i mean but someone will know what i am asking thanks.
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosphy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline henrah

• PS Silver Member
Re: raindrop prelude
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:34 PM
Your common sense is correct, play them both with the thumb of your left hand. However, you very well may play one or both of them with your right hand. It is entirely up to you. Whichever method works best for you. Playing them both with your left hand will make it easier to separate melody from accompaniment, but playing them with your right hand will make it easier to include those two notes as part of the melody. Choose whichever suits you best, either in the sense of being easier to play or sounding the nicest to you.
Currently learning:<br />Liszt- Consolation No.3<br />J.W.Hässler- Sonata No.6 in C, 2nd mvt<br />Glière- No.10 from 12 Esquisses, Op.47<br />Saint-Saens- VII Aquarium<br />Mozart- Fantasie KV397<br /

Offline berrt

Re: raindrop prelude
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:21:13 PM
just have a little problem understanding the 3rd bar with the long quads. do you play the left hand fingering 1,1, with the thumb of the left hand?
I play the notes with upright directed stems with right hand, with downward stems left (in this part oft the piece). For me, it's the most natural feeling way.

B.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert