Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brodmann anyone?  (Read 2649 times)

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Brodmann anyone?
on: November 06, 2006, 07:32:45 PM
Hi all,

I played a couple Brodmann pianos and found them to be nice, even though I did not even ask about price.

Anyone out there familiar with these?  Made in China?  How much do these sell for?

Kaveh, you still there?
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brodmann anyone?
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 11:33:13 PM
I had occasion to play a couple of Brodmann grand pianos last month. Just my impressions here.

The smaller model sounded, well, like a smaller model grand piano. The action seemed responsive and accurate, but they were a bit on the thin side, in terms of sound.

Now, the 187 (about 6'2") is a whole 'nother piano. It had a rich sound: complex and full. It sounded (to my ears) much nicer than the Yamaha C3 that was sitting next to it. It wasn't as powerful as I'd expect a piano that size to be, and lacked a bit of sustain. Nevertheless, I felt it was a very, very competent instrument. It had a complex sound, and at times sounded very European. I would rate it high among the Chinese-built pianos I've looked at, on a par with, if not nicer than the Nordiskas. Head and shoulders above Pearl River and others.

Price? Fine lists it at $17,000 (USD). I imagine that one could get it for somewhere in the lower 'teens.

The Brodmann web page talks a great deal about European design, etc, however, the grands are built in China (with what appear to be good components). That's not a bad thing, however.

My only concern is that this line of pianos has no track record in the US, and we all know that there are newer lines that have a history of problems on introduction: look at Yamaha in the early days, or Estonia not too long ago.

In 4-5 years, this may be a very, very credible instrument.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert