Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Here's another improvisation for you...  (Read 9931 times)

Offline skyhawk

• PS Silver Member
Here's another improvisation for you...
on: December 08, 2006, 10:13:14 PM
I finally sat down and had the chance to do another improvisation recording session. Hopefully, you'll enjoy this one better than the last one; also it's all piano and nothing else.

Offline skyhawk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Here's another improvisation for you...
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 09:28:40 PM
Also, I decided to do something different. Instead of having a continuous flowing motif in different forms; I made a sort of chiming motif that appears at different places; signifying change.

Offline skyhawk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 10:18:11 PM
 :D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:53:31 PM
I like it. There is this chiming motif and then comes a more capricious part. Then the a bit sad one. Good variety of the moods and styles! Now from 4.00 it sounds Prokofieff-like, very good grasp! hehe, this accelerando near 5.45 sounds very humoristic. Yeah, the return of the chiming motif gives the whole the character of a rondo. Good idea! Well what I don't like so much is the sound of the piano.Your playing would deserve a better one!
Though then you would perhaps not have the organ sound. All in all a very original capricious piece!

Cheers Pianowolfi

Offline skyhawk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 04:03:01 AM
I like it. There is this chiming motif and then comes a more capricious part. Then the a bit sad one. Good variety of the moods and styles! Now from 4.00 it sounds Prokofieff-like, very good grasp! hehe, this accelerando near 5.45 sounds very humoristic. Yeah, the return of the chiming motif gives the whole the character of a rondo. Good idea! Well what I don't like so much is the sound of the piano.Your playing would deserve a better one!
Though then you would perhaps not have the organ sound. All in all a very original capricious piece!

Cheers Pianowolfi
Thanks for the comment.  :)

I'm thinking about getting a better keyboard with a more realistic once I get into college but I'm going to have to stick to using my Casio. It's full sized, though; I'm glad for that. They make for good practice keyboards but not for performance. I can't wait to get either an upright or a grand, that'll be fun.  :D

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:38:26 PM
Hey man, I'd been meaning to comment on this one for a long time but I've been rather preoccupied with school. I'm really enjoying listening to this! I've gotten to the "march" like part. Sounds like it would fit in in Star Wars or something where someone is hiding from Storm Troopers. haha.  Anyway, I've noticed a lot of improvement in your adventurousness in harmony.  Rhythmically much of this improvisation is somewhat less incisive than your Lotus Dance or whatever it was called haha, still very good *edit* I take that back. The rhythms rule.   Anyway great work I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.  -Derek

*edit* Wow, I'm even enjoying the Alberti bass part. I like when it changes to a different "time signature".

at 12:03  is an awesome rhythmic and harmonic shift/passage. great work dude

Offline skyhawk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 11:40:35 PM
Hey man, I'd been meaning to comment on this one for a long time but I've been rather preoccupied with school. I'm really enjoying listening to this! I've gotten to the "march" like part. Sounds like it would fit in in Star Wars or something where someone is hiding from Storm Troopers. haha.  Anyway, I've noticed a lot of improvement in your adventurousness in harmony.  Rhythmically much of this improvisation is somewhat less incisive than your Lotus Dance or whatever it was called haha, still very good *edit* I take that back. The rhythms rule.   Anyway great work I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.  -Derek

*edit* Wow, I'm even enjoying the Alberti bass part. I like when it changes to a different "time signature".

at 12:03  is an awesome rhythmic and harmonic shift/passage. great work dude
Thanks, dude.  :)

I've been rather preoccupied with school as well; it's why I haven't been coming here as I much, though I do like it here.

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:07:44 AM
Hi,
Wonderin through some old improvs in the forum.
I like this, as mentioned its lots of different ideas crammed into one instead of one idea embelished, i like this, afterall its improv! It too me has a mysterious feel throughout.

I see you havent posted since! keep it goin! this forum seems to have very few active posters these days, its ashame really!

Offline pankrpec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:20:28 PM
What a great improvisation. Thanks to chopinatic for bringing this one up, I might have missed it and that would be a shame.
Now I'm wondering how many great improvs I'm missing, I should probably go through the old posts too.
All truths, not merely ideas, but truthful faces, truthful pictures or songs, are highly beautiful.

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 02:44:24 AM
How embarrassing to see how I worded things back in college when responding to posts. Dude.  :)  I did enjoy skyhawk's music, I wish he had stuck around longer.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert