Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Best music dictionary  (Read 9406 times)

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Best music dictionary
on: December 19, 2006, 06:48:39 PM
Hi Guys, think this one is important for us.  Which is the Best and which is the most affordable music dictionary for musicians. I know we'd all love the Grove complete but we'd all have to get bigger book shelves and remorgage the house! So some others maybe?? Im particularly interested to know which ones have the most accurate translations of foreign terms.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best music dictionary
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 03:27:00 AM
New Harvard Dictionary of Music    But it's a big thick book, $30-40.  It's not something you can carry around -- which makes it less useful even if it's great.

For quick portable reference, any of the little pocket music dictionaries.

Anywhere there's internet access -- ask.  The definitions in any dictionary don't really cover the true meaning of words.  Ask someone.  Here or live.

I think Piano Street has some kind of free download for a music dictionary.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:24:06 AM
I have this dictionary and one of the most surprising things, and very ironic, is that there is no definition of "music". ;D

The closest word is "musica".

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:44:27 AM
Indeed - very ironic. One of the first essays we had to write in Music college was a discourse on 'what is music and what is not music', perhaps thats why...noone really knows!  Does anyone know any FREE online ones which are good and reliable. I know you can subscribe to Grove but it is pretty expensive and Im looking for one I can recommend to students.  I loved studying with one of the french trained teachers in college because he would always ask - what does this word mean. You would give him the dictionary definition of the word and he would say NO what does it mean which was usually quite different in the nuance.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert