Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Regarding Reverie by Debussy  (Read 4137 times)

Offline rach3pianoconcerto

• PS Silver Member
Regarding Reverie by Debussy
on: January 02, 2007, 01:19:19 AM
Hi
I have just started looking at this piece and i have not gone through the whole piece yet and am wondering what people are saying about how debussys uses some unorthodox fifths in this piece. Can someone give me an example, preferably a measure number so that i can see what kind of fifths i am dealing with here. I just remember someone saying something about some odd fifths....please enlighten me a little more please.'
Thank you ;)

Offline desordre

• PS Silver Member
Re: Regarding Reverie by Debussy
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:38:02 AM
 Dear Rach:
 I think you mention the parallel fifths, don't you? I'm sorry to say that you're looking for in the wrong place: he doesn't use this process in this piece. By the way, the voice-leading in it is very traditional.
 Best!
 PS: Debussy himself dislike the Reverie, and thought it was a very poor composition. It is a shame, because the music is so beautiful...  :)
Player of what?

Offline rach3pianoconcerto

• PS Silver Member
Re: Regarding Reverie by Debussy
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:30:25 AM
Really? I guess i didnt really expect some composers to actually dislike their works...but i guess they wrote so much and all. Do you have any pointers that would be useful when tackling this piece.....It doesnt come across as very hard but i just dont want to miss something.
Thank you.
P.S Does he use the parallel fifths in Claire de Lune?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert