Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Improvisation, my first digital piano recording. January 19th, 2007  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
I'm not sure what to make of this one.  After I recorded it I sped up the tempo a little bit. I must say...I am becoming a very big fan of digital pianos.  I don't know why my teacher hated them so much---I can do all the same pianistic things I did on an acoustic piano, only it is easier.

Anyway---this one is rather adventurous in parts.  You have been warned.  :)

Oh---it would have a nice stereo pan, but I didn't push the cable into the piano jack quite tightly enough so unfortunately this is mono. I'll post stereo ones in the future. 

Enjoy!

Oh---by the way, it is a Roland F-100 piano! =D

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
I do not find it adventurous but the first section is very good indeed, as good as anything of yours I have heard bar one. You are using much more romantic chromaticism than previously. I think it's one of those things which creeps into one's romantic playing naturally over time, partly unconscious imitation of the masters, partly personal aural intention and partly from the sheer physical ease of doing it. One or two of the melodic sequences are particularly striking.

The fact that it was made on a digital piano and speeded up ought not to concern us. We do well to embrace every technical development which facilitates creative fluency and exploit it to the utmost.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Dr. Smith hated digital pianos. I don't get it. I can do all the same things. I tried playing some of the pieces on it that I was working on with him and actually found it EASIER to bring out the voices/phrasing etc.  Could it be that he dislikes them JUST because they're easier? haha

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
i love my digital piano, too.  they are fun are they not!

and, i really like your harmonies, too.  they are faure/debussyish.  i especially liked the run that ended with the clear top note.  that was a thrill.  i didn't like the bass sections because of the reverb.  but, as you get used to your piano you can set the reverb to where you want it for the clearest results in the bass.

also, did you know that most of the manual for these digitals can be printed out online?  if you lose the one you have, i mean - which i did last week (after taking it to a rehearsal - in case anything went wrong).  anyhew - my husband found the manual online under the brand name and then something else.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
I am pretty inexperienced at playing digital pianos. In fact I have played only two for more than a few minutes; both were high-end models and very expensive. Admittedly, I didn't like the sound as much as that of my grand, and I found my technique very difficult to control on it; everything seemed to run away with me. This caused my invention to be dominated by physical means rather than musical impulse and what came out was less than remakable to say the least. Of course, I am a bit peculiar in this regard anyway, having used a practice clavier on five or six ounces for almost forty years.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert