Piano Forum logo
August 20, 2014, 06:29:43 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Reader Poll: Do you like classical music with jazz influences?

Since the early 20th century, jazz always had a significant impact on classical music and classical pianists. Composers found the rhythms, the blue quality in melody and harmony, as well as the spontaneous improvisation immensely fascinating and irresistibly modern. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cramer etudes  (Read 1500 times)
cygnusdei
PS Silver Member

« on: March 16, 2007, 08:52:54 AM »

Anyone familiar with the Cramer etudes? Apparently there are two collections, the 60 etudes and the 84 etudes in 4 volumes. I seem to recall my teacher mentioning these etudes along with Moszkowski or Moscheles, as intermediate assignments between Czerny and Chopin.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

allthumbs
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »

I haven't played any of these pieces, but I do have the entire set.

Should you want any of them, let me know and I'll send them to you.

Cheers

allthumbs

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562
sharon_f
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:43:23 AM »

I studied some of the Cramer before I began on the Chopin Etudes. I didn't work on them in any chronological order, my teacher just assigned them based on specific technical issues. They are about 2 pages each, so they don't drag on and on like the Czerny Op. 740. And they are a little more interesting musically. I think they have value for the student preparing for the Moszkowski studies or Chopin Etudes.

There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer
thalbergmad
PS Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 06:32:53 PM »

He does seem to have been rather prolific in the study genre.

I have looked at some of them them and went through a few of the 16 nouvelles etudes and 12 etudes melodique.

Not to be ignored as a composer either. I have heard one of his Sonatas at it was rather nice.

I have ordered a couple of his Concerto's to look through. I think someone told me the 8th was lovely.

Thal

Michael Britchfield
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: