Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Birds & I don't know - Improv Oct 27, 2006  (Read 3373 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Birds & I don't know - Improv Oct 27, 2006
on: May 06, 2007, 05:01:52 PM
For m1469, to encourage her to not be afraid of expressing herself through improv.

You know, I still find this difficult to listen to. 

Mics: (2x) Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Piano: Yamaha C7

P.S.  I can understand how it makes you ticklish to talk about, it's a sweet piano.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Birds & I don't know - Improv Oct 27, 2006
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 05:44:04 PM
Hmmmmmmmm this is sweet and cool and makes me smile :) Sounds like it was actually a soiree with people talking first and then getting silent after a while. Wow I wish I had been there. :) great contrasts between the birds and the rough parts. You are definitely a great improviser, quantum! Btw I didn't take the risk of improvising live for people yet. Great job, really! :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Birds & I don't know - Improv Oct 27, 2006
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 06:38:32 PM
Well this was actually a soiree.  The university I attended for my Bachelors regularly holds these soirees where people just get together for a few hours and improvise.  Even though I already graduated, I love going back especially for these fun events.  It's wonderful to get together with like-minded people who love to improvise. 

For a long time I would only improvise for myself at home (preferably when nobody else was there).  It took a lot of courage for me to improvise live for the first time, but once I got over that hurdle improvising live became a lot of fun. 

There is a prof who teaches improv at the uni - I've learned from him that you don't always get awe inspiring moments, and what your thinking isn't usually what comes out of the fingers.  But then there are times when you are absolutely in your "performance space" and musical inspiration abounds.  It's really great when you come across such moments.  Part of why I had the initial hesitation of improvising in front of  others was this personal expectation that I needed to make the music perfect from the start.

Thanks for listening!  :)
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert