Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Opus 2 no 3 -- third and fourth movements  (Read 5995 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
I noticed some people on this forum are playing Opus 2 no 3, so I thought I'd offer my version for fun.  It's a recording from a few years ago--I played this piece for a recital in grad school.  There ARE wrong notes and mistakes in this--but we're all friends here, right?    ;)

Other movements are posted also--too many megabytes for one post.

Offline kd

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Opus 2 no 3 -- third and fourth movements
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 11:22:15 PM
Movement 3

I'm afraid it's not as good as the first 2 movements, though still good. The trio is very clean, although I would be inclined to use more dynamical changes than just the closing crescendo. But overall it seems a bit too rushed for my taste (it's not Presto after all), and this actually resulted in more than just a few inaccurate jumps. Also, there are many places where there should be sforzandi on the 3rd beat. Many of them were not clear enough. Apart from these remarks, everything seems to be in order.

Movement 4

What is the LH playing at 0:29-0:36 (and in analogous passages later on) ??? Either not what is in the score, or even if it does, it succeeds in making this absolutely inaudible. Also the nasty LH jumps at 1:26-1:35 seem to be messed up. Except these two things there are no more serious technical things to complain about, just a few minor mistakes. Musically, the movement was nice. Contrast between piano and forte was clear, and actually I liked the dynamics, although, as in movement 3, some sforzandi were just skipped (for example, 0:55-1:03).
Nice ending.

And I am probably supposed to write a conclusion after hearing the whole sonata. So, I would be very pleased to hear such performance, and, despite some small technical imperfection and some places where I disagree with the interpretation (but I'm still in the process of learning movements 3 and 4, so it might be that it will influence me :) ), I must say that overall it was very nice.

Are you going to post some other Beethoven by any chance?

Offline pet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 02:33:43 AM
I liked it!  The third movement was very clear (especially that Trio!), and I liked the Coda.  The fourth movement was very clean, and the phrasing was very well done, as well as the ending.  Great performance!  We'll see if I can play it this well when I'm done....

Thanks for posting!

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 02:46:55 AM
Movement 3

I'm afraid it's not as good as the first 2 movements, though still good. The trio is very clean, although I would be inclined to use more dynamical changes than just the closing crescendo. But overall it seems a bit too rushed for my taste (it's not Presto after all), and this actually resulted in more than just a few inaccurate jumps. Also, there are many places where there should be sforzandi on the 3rd beat. Many of them were not clear enough. Apart from these remarks, everything seems to be in order.

Movement 4

What is the LH playing at 0:29-0:36 (and in analogous passages later on) ??? Either not what is in the score, or even if it does, it succeeds in making this absolutely inaudible. Also the nasty LH jumps at 1:26-1:35 seem to be messed up. Except these two things there are no more serious technical things to complain about, just a few minor mistakes. Musically, the movement was nice. Contrast between piano and forte was clear, and actually I liked the dynamics, although, as in movement 3, some sforzandi were just skipped (for example, 0:55-1:03).
Nice ending.

And I am probably supposed to write a conclusion after hearing the whole sonata. So, I would be very pleased to hear such performance, and, despite some small technical imperfection and some places where I disagree with the interpretation (but I'm still in the process of learning movements 3 and 4, so it might be that it will influence me :) ), I must say that overall it was very nice.

Are you going to post some other Beethoven by any chance?

Probably no more Beethoven because I just haven't played as much as I should have.

Thanks for your comments.   ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert