Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne op.9 no.1  (Read 4033 times)

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturne op.9 no.1
on: September 09, 2007, 06:10:10 PM
Here is my twin playing an old chopin favourite. Unfortunately, I didn't realize he was recording, hence the talking from me, and evil looks from him. Apologies too for the overly 'artistic' camerawork of the g/f. Anyway, block all that out and try to enjoy.

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne op.9 no.1
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:21:37 PM
HAHA how did you not notice the g/f with the camera trained on him?  I'm sure you realized that when she pointed the camera to you...! lol

Excellent vid, especially since we got to see the culprit! lol

Josh
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline schubertiad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:55:32 PM
It's one of those fancy built-into-the-laptop cameras, so i only realised after it was waved in my face, and by that point it had all turned into a bit of a joke. My brother carried on admirably, though, i thought...
“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.” Leonard Bernstein

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 12:09:46 AM
schubertiad,

If the pianist twin gets to read this: Despite the appearance of the room rolling in heavy swells at sea and the unexpected interruptions, you managed to persevere and prevail against all odds.  There is no question you have continuity, ha-ha!  Very poetic playing.  I liked your phrasing and dynamics  in particular.  You captured the mood of this nocturne--very expressive indeed.  Great job!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 12:43:16 AM
schubertiad,

Despite the appearance of the room rolling in heavy swells at sea and the unexpected interruptions, you managed to persevere and prevail against all odds.  There is no question you have continuity, ha-ha!  Very poetic playing.  I liked your phrasing and dynamics  in particular.  You captured the mood of this nocturne--very expressive indeed.  Great job!

Um... he wasn't playing, his brother was. ;) 
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 01:00:39 AM
Yeah, I forgot about the evil twin, so went back and fixed it.  Thanks!
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline the_duck

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 07:57:03 PM
schubertiad,

If the pianist twin gets to read this:

i am the twin in question :-)

i did my best to plough on. you may have noticed the numerous dirty looks i shot at my brother while he was talking away in the background. the funniest thing was his mock-angry, bewildered expression as he looked back at me, having no idea that i was trying to get him to shut the @#&$ up!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 08:10:11 PM
Haha!  Yeah, I saw all of it.  Is he also a pianist?  Better if not--otherwise he'd be impersonating your performances probably to make you look bad!   ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 12:41:51 AM
very sensitive and thoughtful.  the repeated notes at the beginning might want to get more or less intense.  whenever anything repeats it has to do something.  otherwise - i like the softness of the middle section.  a sort of melting into it.  and the crescendo back could be even stronger.

you and your brother are very direct in your playing.  much like rachmaninov.  here is a utube that i found of him playing chopin opus 9 #2.  he doesn't linger over notes like he's dying or anything.  https://youtube.com/watch?v=kj3CHx3TDzw&mode=related&search=

Offline the_duck

• PS Silver Member

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:59:14 AM
i'll take that  8)

The duck has spoken...  ;D

Josh
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:31:18 PM
The Evil Twin has the very same DNA as The Duck, and we can't use graphology, retina scans, or voiceprints for typewritten material.  To be sure of his identity, we might have to issue him a PIN# to post.   ;D

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 06:06:55 PM
It is incidents like these that don't make me regret being an only child.   :D

Enjoyed his playing very much.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert