Piano Forum

Topic: Super useful new site  (Read 7218 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Super useful new site
on: September 21, 2007, 09:59:05 PM
Check this out ---

www.pianorarescores.com

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Re: Super useful new site
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:08:28 AM
Hmm... but where are the most interesting old editions of all - old Bach editions?  He's not even on their list.

Walter Ramsey

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:22:44 AM
so that's where thalbergmad's been getting his stuff.  woah.  all this time i was in such awe.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:46:18 AM
Let me make a few points about this site so that hopefully people will avoid it.

1. It is run by a nasty piece of work called Marcel Mombeek ( i am reasonably certain of this) who is notorious in the sheet music world for trawling sites like pianophilia and gamingforce and downloading sheets for nothing. This vile dweeb then tries to sell other peoples work for absurd prices. He has even tried to sell digital scores made available by the University of Rochester.

2. I have never got any scores from him, but he has in the past tried to sell scores that i have scanned. Why would i use him when my own library extends to 179,000 scores.

3. I absolutely assure you that he has nothing that cannot be obtained via other sources for FREE.

4. He has even tried selling Sorabji scores and if memory serves, AH had trouble in getting him to stop.

5. There is no need to use him or other E Bay tossers trying to sell digital scores.

DO NOT USE IT, EVERYTHING CAN BE OBTAINED FOR FREE.

End of sermon.

Thal

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 11:19:30 AM
Let me make a few points about this site so that hopefully people will avoid it.

1. It is run by a nasty piece of work called Marcel Mombeek ( i am reasonably certain of this) who is notorious in the sheet music world for trawling sites like pianophilia and gamingforce and downloading sheets for nothing. This vile dweeb then tries to sell other peoples work for absurd prices. He has even tried to sell digital scores made available by the University of Rochester.

2. I have never got any scores from him, but he has in the past tried to sell scores that i have scanned. Why would i use him when my own library extends to 179,000 scores.

3. I absolutely assure you that he has nothing that cannot be obtained via other sources for FREE.

4. He has even tried selling Sorabji scores and if memory serves, AH had trouble in getting him to stop.

5. There is no need to use him or other E Bay tossers trying to sell digital scores.

End of sermon.

Thal

I checked some of the pages last night, out of curiosity.

The Horowitz page bears a remarkable resemblance to the list of scores that were formerly available on a Japanese site (I won't mention the collector's name, I'm sure you know who I mean).

Marcel Mombeek is well known for his devotion to Cziffra, so I checked that page also. Verdi-Cziffra Il Trovatore ??? I thought that was an improvisation and that there is no score extant. Again, the scores listing bears a remarkable similarity to what has been published by the Fondation Cziffra. Incidentally, Mombeek was even offering recordings of Koji's for sale at one point.

And, in case it's not obvious: whoever is running this site is selling PDFs, not scores!

I do wonder: when you get the PDFs, will they come complete with stamped markings saying eg "Univiersity of Indiana Library" and someone's fingerings written over them  ;) or have they tidied them up?
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:42:58 AM

I do wonder: when you get the PDFs, will they come complete with stamped markings saying eg "Univiersity of Indiana Library" and someone's fingerings written over them  ;) or have they tidied them up?

I very much doubt if any effort has been made to tidy anything up and i have no intention of finding out.

Hopefully, with sites like IMSLP around, this kind of rip off will cease to exist.

It is because of people like him that i don't publicly post all my concerto scans.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:46:02 PM
And some of the pdf's being offered are scans of copyrighted material still in print. ::)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:50:40 PM
Indeed they are, which is another reason why sites like that should be closed.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 08:14:39 PM
Hmm... but where are the most interesting old editions of all - old Bach editions?  He's not even on their list.

Walter Ramsey

I believe I have some autographs on my computer if anyone wants them...

Best,
ML

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 08:33:01 PM

Quoted for emphasis.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 08:37:11 PM
Thanks old chap.

I am pretty certain it is "him", but of course cannot prove it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 11:06:43 PM
Beware of Mombeek eother altogether or, failing that, at least for anything other than works that are without any doubt not in copyright anywhere in the world. He appears no longer to be offering any Sorabji (most fortunately), but there remain plenty of other still-copyrighted works advertised for sale on his site.

Caveat emptor!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 06:14:16 AM
my faith has been restored.  only by hard work is anything good attained.  i was hoping that the british museum music library entered the picture here somewhere too.  i know library of congress is or used to be a good site here.  everybody and their uncle are after money now.  sometimes you have to literally walk somewhere and not rely on the internet.  estate sales.  flea markets.  sales at music stores of old scores.  i think thal does this.  am hoping to visit an antique bookstore tommorrow. 

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 04:07:15 PM
I don't think it's worth it considering that you can buy a real music score for just a few more dollars
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 06:33:36 PM
my faith has been restored.
What? You mean that you temporarily lost or abandoned it? Words fail me!

only by hard work is anything good attained.
Per ardua ad Asperger,  they say...

i was hoping that the british museum music library entered the picture here somewhere too.  i know library of congress is or used to be a good site here.  everybody and their uncle are after money now.  sometimes you have to literally walk somewhere and not rely on the internet.  estate sales.  flea markets.  sales at music stores of old scores.  i think thal does this.  am hoping to visit an antique bookstore tommorrow.
Getting copies of things from BL has, however, always been incredibly expensive; I don;t know what LOC charge for copies of items.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 07:24:11 PM
I don;t know what LOC charge for copies of items.

Neither do i, since they have never responded to my requests for the Leschetizky Concerto.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:04:12 PM
am hoping to visit an antique bookstore tommorrow. 

I try to avoid those, since they often know the true value or rareity of their books.

England seems to be blessed with squillions of 2nd hand book shops and one of the biggest (Baggins Book Bazaar) is only 5 miles from me. This is where i get the bulk of my scores and it is amazing what you can pick up.

I also came back from Hay - on - Wye with some nice rarities. An operatic trnscription by Favarger for 50 pence, a Bach transcription by Hinze Reinhold for £4 and the Herz 5th Concerto for a fiver.

Often, i will come out of a shop with as much as i can carry for only a few pounds.

Thal

Curator/Director

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 04:19:55 PM
(Baggins Book Bazaar) is only 5 miles from me. This is where i get the bulk of my scores and it is amazing what you can pick up.
Address please-m.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:17:14 PM
https://www.bagginsbooks.co.uk/

Music dept is upstairs old chap.

Or it was when i last went. He changes things around a lot to confuse people.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 09:39:59 AM
Wow, I was almost prepared to spend close to $100 at this site, before I decided to search this forum regarding it. Thanks for the tip.

But how on earth is it possible this guy is still doing this illegal buisness almost a year after these messages? Diplorable!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 09:06:22 PM
Neither do i, since they have never responded to my requests for the Leschetizky Concerto.

Thal

Hi Thal,

I came across this thread pursuant to our exchange in another thread, and I am wondering if you ever got a copy of the Leschetizky Concerto from the L.O.C.?  I am not seeking a copy of the work, but I am curious about the hold up as I always have been able to get material from the L.O.C. and reasonably promptly.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 05:15:05 PM
I did get a copy old chap, but not from the LOC.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 08:30:58 PM
I did get a copy old chap, but not from the LOC.

Thal

It is good to hear that you obtained a copy, young man.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 04:59:06 PM

End of sermon.

Thal

just felt a new burn. saw some of scans i made for sale on his slimey site.  and people sometimes wonder why i am so hesitate to share scans publicly, and with sensitive docs, even privately lately.  :'(   >:(

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 06:57:06 PM
The site should be closed and the owner is a prize wanker.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 12:21:07 AM
The site should be closed and the owner is a prize wanker.

Thal

You said that comment 5 weeks too soon Thal...    ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert