Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Sonetto 104 & Transcendental Etude no. 10  (Read 3610 times)

Offline faustsaccomplice

• PS Silver Member

Offline c0nfused

• PS Silver Member
Re: Sonetto 104 & Transcendental Etude no. 10
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:07:46 PM
First of all, congratulations!! The Liszt Etude is really good- i haven't listened to the sonetto yet.

Second, please don't post .wav as they are huge files. Not many will downoad 60+Mb's for 2 pieces only

Ok, now more specifically. Actually, I am currently studying this etude, and I know that it's really difficult... You have achieved a very nice combination of speed and quality of sound. Dynamics are very good, and you create the right emotions to the listener. Really nice!

I am now going to be the bad guy. What I didn't like. The last page. You build up all this energy during the piece, and the broken chords before the finale imply, at least to me, that you are going to give a really powerful, dramatic finale. But I think that you kept yourself back a bit too much. It sounded dry to me.I would prefer it more massive, even if it gets noisy.  More forte, more pedal. Of course, i know that at this speed is not at all easy to do that ( and I certainly can't at the moment....)

But that's just me. It's my way of viewing this piece.

Anyway, great job, and I really enjoyed the listening- and that's what matter's in the end.   

Offline faustsaccomplice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:06 PM

Offline faustsaccomplice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 10:02:40 PM
did only one person here listen to this?  and only one of the pieces at that...

anyway, c0nfused:
thanks for taking the time to listen to my performance and for your comments.  i really have taken them into consideration. 

Offline dnephi

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 05:50:55 PM
I'd say that you've got a very good handle on this.  I think that as time passes, the specific techniques attached to this piece will "settle" or "distill."  You'll get better. 

My comment on how it  might be improved is that it could be played straighter, without so many pauses that aren't in the music.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline faustsaccomplice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 01:04:40 AM
I'd say that you've got a very good handle on this.  I think that as time passes, the specific techniques attached to this piece will "settle" or "distill."  You'll get better. 

My comment on how it  might be improved is that it could be played straighter, without so many pauses that aren't in the music.

thanks.  i'll look into the pauses.   
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert