Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: My recordings for the auditions next year  (Read 5818 times)

Offline cardinals

• PS Silver Member
My recordings for the auditions next year
on: November 01, 2007, 01:09:50 PM
Track 1 and 2 - Bach: WTC Book2 No.5 Prelude and Fuge in D BWV874
Track 3 - Beethoven: Sonata No. 26 "Les Adieux" in Eb Op.81a 3rd movement
Track 4 - Chopin: Scherzo No.1 in b Op.20

Recorded with 7-foot Steinway in CCM of Univ. of Cincinnati (Oct. 31)...THX

Offline hwangs

• PS Silver Member
Re: My recordings for the auditions next year
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:27:56 AM
Hey-- I usually dont comment too much, especially because I dont know how much of my comments will help (I'm only an undergrad student at not even a conservatory), but I really love your playing! Unfortunately, I dont know the pieces that well, but they sound excellent, especially that prelude the phrasing and voicing is beautiful.

I might sound a bit creepy, but I was just looking through your posts to see if you mentioned who your teacher was or if you were applying for a DMA or Masters program and where, because you're definitely good enough to get in.

I do really find it amazing that you would go back to school to pursue piano after already getting a masters degree in business. Actually, I'm planning to transfer to a music school as well, though I am currently enrolled in a small music program at my college.

So basically, I just wanted to let you know your playing is great & interpretation really brilliant... And good luck!

Oh, and btw, I'm Korean too  ;)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 01:07:04 AM
I listened to your bach and beethoven.  You are very good.  It's surprising you have been strictly an amateur until now.  Best of luck in your auditions.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:10:43 AM
...the Beethoven is much improved from your last attempt! A lot more refined and controlled with a lot of temperament!

When is your audition? If sometime early next year, it'd probably be in your interest to start learning other pieces on top of these audition pieces, since you've done very well and spent a long time with them?

Offline cardinals

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:47:21 PM
...the Beethoven is much improved from your last attempt! A lot more refined and controlled with a lot of temperament!

When is your audition? If sometime early next year, it'd probably be in your interest to start learning other pieces on top of these audition pieces, since you've done very well and spent a long time with them?

Since there is only less than 3 months till the dates of auditions, I think it will be better to work with the current repertoire...Actually, all the universities (for the bachelor's) I am going to apply require only 3 pieces in different styles...although the requirement will be much different for MM or DMA programs... ;D

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 03:34:06 AM
Since there is only less than 3 months till the dates of auditions, I think it will be better to work with the current repertoire...

...that's plenty of time to learn a few other things ^^ especially if it's not the whole sonata.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert