Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin's Opus 8/12  (Read 2254 times)

Offline lohshuhan

Scriabin's Opus 8/12
on: November 01, 2007, 02:28:35 PM
can anyone who has played this tell me how they approached the left hand part? 

i'm referring specifically to notes like the 4th note (A#) of the 2nd bar, and the 4th note of the 4th bar (B), where Scriabin writes those notes in the range of where your right hand would be playing. 

do you take those notes in the right hand, or do you attempt to leap the left hand over? 

i was taking it in the right hand, until a friend of mine commented that if you cheat on etude, then its not an etude anymore. 

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin's Opus 8/12
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 02:31:35 PM
can anyone who has played this tell me how they approached the left hand part? 

i'm referring specifically to notes like the 4th note (A#) of the 2nd bar, and the 4th note of the 4th bar (B), where Scriabin writes those notes in the range of where your right hand would be playing. 

do you take those notes in the right hand, or do you attempt to leap the left hand over? 

i was taking it in the right hand, until a friend of mine commented that if you cheat on etude, then its not an etude anymore. 
That's stupid what your friend says. As you can read in my other topic, i played this etude, and I took those notes right. You will see it almost everywhere. I even think Scriabin took these notes right.
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline Alde

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:42:36 AM
I use my right hand although it would be quite "gymnastic" to make that leap with the left.  It would however be very difficult to stay consistently accurate.  Using your left hand would also slow you down.

Offline oreno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:00:26 AM
take it with the right no one will notice  (it is not like the openning of beethven op 111-)
i played scriabins op 8-12 and its sound well

oren

Offline term

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:15:59 PM
That's stupid what your friend says
I don't think so. An etude is an etude, it's meant to be difficult and it should be done the way it's written.
Of course there's no real obligation to do it, if you're just playing it for the music and not for the challenge do as you like.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
"The only truth lies in learning to free ourselves from insane passion for the truth" - Eco

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:27:02 PM
The purpose of a score is to be descriptive not prescriptive.  In other words the score outlines the compositional elements in a manner that can be clearly understood and interpreted by the performer.  It is supposed to describe the music so you can interpret it, not tell you how to play. 

In this case those upper notes in the lower staff are part of the line in the LH pattern.  It is also very consistent that those notes in the lower staff usually have an identical note held in the RH.  So playing them in the left would also mean stepping over a note you are playing in the right. 

I play them with the RH.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lohshuhan

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:38:24 PM
I don't think so. An etude is an etude, it's meant to be difficult and it should be done the way it's written.
Of course there's no real obligation to do it, if you're just playing it for the music and not for the challenge do as you like.

hmmm...  not to say that you are wrong... because i'm still debating on whether to listen to my friend's advice...  but...  just wondering...  wouldn't that only apply if we know what that etude is trying to improve? 

like... you can always play the opening left hand run of Chopin's Revolutionary Etude on the right, but since it was basically an etude meant to train the left hand, then doing that would defeat the purpose of the etude... 

however, was scriabin trying to train left hand leaps with the complex left hand, right hand octaves, or 4 against 3 timings? 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert