Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin  (Read 2321 times)

Offline johnjwong

• PS Silver Member
Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin
on: April 13, 2004, 05:21:35 AM
Hi guys, I need help for the song fantasia impromptu by chaplin.  I can play the song but if i play the song fast as the song is supposed to be fast, my hand gets tire and i just can't play anymore.... there is so much stress no my right hand arm and my arm feels like its burning.... My hand gets tired just before the part when there is the decending chromatic scale.. any tips?

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 05:45:18 AM
woah woah woah ack!!!!!! deep breaths.......ok im fine.....now about your question:

1. ok just for clarity purposes: his name is "chopin" not "chaplin....that is, if ur reffering to the Fantaisie-Impromptu, op. 66, which im pretty sure u r. also it's a "piece" not a "song"......songs r sung, pieces r played.

2. if there is stress/tension at all, slow down till you can get it slow without any tension b4 u speed up again

if there is stress to the point of burning, learn an easier piece. it's better to work up to harder pieces....do you have a teacher? if so, you should listen to his/her advice about what level 2 play....if u don't have one, i would seriously suggest looking into getting one.

and don't worry at all about having to move back a bit with your repetoire. it really doesn't take that long to get to more advanced pieces if you really apply yourself. good luck

-david joe
rach on!

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 03:49:24 PM
i'm actually playing chopin's fantasie-impromptu at the moment and i find it kinda difficult playing it fast and with the crazy rhythms etc., but as i discovered when playing bach's prelude and fugue in c minor last year slow practice helps amazingly for not getting your arms tired- i managed to really stuff up an exam cos i practiced to fast and my arms got tired so in the exam the piece went nuts and i lost control. so i learnt my lesson and went back to playing it much slower all the time and used a metronome as well and it seriously helped.
so with the fantasie just practice slowly and keep absolute control of it all the time and gradually as you feel more comfortable playing it at a faster speed it'll be so much better- i swear by this!

hope that helped

tash
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert