Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: drawing [permanent] staff lines on a white board  (Read 31954 times)

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
drawing [permanent] staff lines on a white board
on: December 18, 2007, 09:43:13 PM
Hi... Sorry if this seems liken an overly obvious quesiton ... but, does anyone have any experience with drawing staff lines on a white board? I realize the obvious solution would be to use Sharpies or other permanent ink markers - but, not having any experience with it - dow that work well? Is that what is typically used, or is there some other product? I mean - how do the white board markers work *over* the lines drawn with Sharpies? do they still erase just like the other  areas of the board?

If I had a small, disposable white board to use as a tester I would - but I don't. TIA for any suggestions!

I feel like it's sort of a silly question - but I'm taking that risk anyway.  :-\

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: drawing [permanent] staff lines on a white board
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:07:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend it.  I have done that and I used sharpies to draw the staff.  If you don't use any other marker over it, it's fine.  As soon as you use eraseable marker over it and then erase it, for some reason it also erases the permanent marker  ???.  It turns into a perfectly useless "staff" after a point (if you can really still call it that).

I finally broke down and ordered a board that has a staff on it, to which eraseable markers can be applied.  That works like it's supposed to.

ps -- it's a funny story that one of my students who realized that the permanent marker gets erased in this way, when she had a substitute teacher in school, the sub accidentally put permanent marker on the white board.  Well, my student remembering what happened to my staff told him to write over it with eraseable marker and then erase ... it worked like a charm :).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:07:50 PM
ok - this is upsetting. Thanks for the info! Darn it [cuz I already bought the board - and they're not cheap!]. :'(

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:32:46 PM
Well, you can always try it out and see for yourself  :).  In any case, they are really useful for other things, too, so not to worry.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:09:54 AM
Airbrush with stencil?  I haven't really tried it.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:04:10 AM
Well, you can always try it out and see for yourself  :).  In any case, they are really useful for other things, too, so not to worry.

My experience was that if you use permanent marker and write over it soon, it comes off; but if it sets for a week it doesn't. 

There is also something called a paint pen.  I used these to write on hazardous waste drums.  They weren't affected by solvents or weather, I can't imagine them coming off.  They are about $3 US each and come in various colors. 
Tim

Offline mattgreenecomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:38:13 PM
Wait, why don't you use dry erase markers and just redraw the lines everytime?  Thats what I do every lesson.  It only takes about 30 sec.
You can buy boards with lines already on them too for music.
Download free sheet music at mattgreenecomposer.com

Offline dorfmouse

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:55:30 PM
If you can find thin black insulating tape or some other sort of sticky tape you could maybe stick that on in lines.
"I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
W.B. Yeats

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 01:18:16 AM
Timothy ... Paint pen ... that is probably the best option. I should've thought of that.

I will try with perment markers and let them set, like you said ... I was thinking that might perhaps be the trick - if that doesn't work - the paint pen should do it.

Course I'll have to let y'all know how it works out.

thanks!  ;D

Offline knabe31

• PS Gold Member
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 02:05:19 PM
The tape idea worked for me. I used fine pin stripe tape that you can buy at the auto parts supply stores. It really sticks well and you can get really fine lines.

Offline a-sharp

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 03:11:33 PM
how thick is it? Does it bug you at all drawing over the little 'ridges?'  [suppose I could always take it off if I didn't like it,huh?]

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:48:29 PM
We have two white boards in the school that I teach at. One of them was bought with a staff already printed on it. However, on the blank one in my room, I just use marker that erases. It's not really that big a deal for me, as I can draw reasonably straight horizontal lines.

Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert